1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to continue learning physics and math

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I want to relearn and continue learning physics and math. I went to university studying physics for a few years but I never graduated. It's been three years and now I want to continue learning physics as a hobby. Right now I'm reading the Feynman lecture on physics but after that I'd like to jump back into proper textbook. I still have my old ones from university.

First I'd go over the differential and integral calculus from Calculus by Stewart.

Then An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner & Kolenkow. How's the second edition? Does anyone have it?

Multivariable calculus and vector analysis parts from Calculus by Stewart.

Classical Electromagnetism by Good, is there a good suggestion for a substitute here? I heard a lot of good things about Griffiths.

Linear Algebra by Strang.

Vibrations and Waves by French.

Relativité et Invariance by Pérez. Maybe a suggestion for an English textbook to get used to the English terms.

Mechanics by Symon. I found this book in a pawn shop and bought it. I never really used it but I'm looking forward to, the problems look challenging.

Quantum Physics by Eisberg and Resnick.

Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics by Reif.

Here are the subjects that I never had a chance to learn: Differential Equations, Mathematical Physics, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Differential Geometry, Optics, Solid State Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Nuclear Physics. I'd like recommendation for textbooks for these subjects and a good order to learn them. And any suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I advise starting with single-variable calculus, linear algebra and mechanics, in parallel. When you are done with them and know them pretty well, do multivariable calculus, differential equations, E&M, in parallel. Then you will be in a much better position to decide what to learn next. For now, it is too early to speak about what should come later.

Of course don't hesitate to read any other physics book that interests you in the mean time.

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3
    It may be worthwhile to look up the undergraduate catalog on your university's website. It should list courses offered and if you're in luck, the books too. Stick with them, so if you return to school you'll be way ahead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook