I want to continue learning physics and math

In summary, the person wants to continue learning physics and mathematics and has read the Feynman lecture on physics. They want to learn more about calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, vibrations and waves, and quantum physics. They are not sure what to learn next.
Johnny Blade
Hello,

I want to relearn and continue learning physics and math. I went to university studying physics for a few years but I never graduated. It's been three years and now I want to continue learning physics as a hobby. Right now I'm reading the Feynman lecture on physics but after that I'd like to jump back into proper textbook. I still have my old ones from university.

First I'd go over the differential and integral calculus from Calculus by Stewart.

Then An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner & Kolenkow. How's the second edition? Does anyone have it?

Multivariable calculus and vector analysis parts from Calculus by Stewart.

Classical Electromagnetism by Good, is there a good suggestion for a substitute here? I heard a lot of good things about Griffiths.

Linear Algebra by Strang.

Vibrations and Waves by French.

Relativité et Invariance by Pérez. Maybe a suggestion for an English textbook to get used to the English terms.

Mechanics by Symon. I found this book in a pawn shop and bought it. I never really used it but I'm looking forward to, the problems look challenging.

Quantum Physics by Eisberg and Resnick.

Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics by Reif.

Here are the subjects that I never had a chance to learn: Differential Equations, Mathematical Physics, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Differential Geometry, Optics, Solid State Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Nuclear Physics. I'd like recommendation for textbooks for these subjects and a good order to learn them. And any suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I advise starting with single-variable calculus, linear algebra and mechanics, in parallel. When you are done with them and know them pretty well, do multivariable calculus, differential equations, E&M, in parallel. Then you will be in a much better position to decide what to learn next. For now, it is too early to speak about what should come later.

Of course don't hesitate to read any other physics book that interests you in the mean time.

It may be worthwhile to look up the undergraduate catalog on your university's website. It should list courses offered and if you're in luck, the books too. Stick with them, so if you return to school you'll be way ahead.

1. What are the benefits of continuing to learn physics and math?

Continuing to learn physics and math can provide a deeper understanding of the world around us and the laws that govern it. It can also lead to improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields. Additionally, a strong foundation in physics and math opens up opportunities for further education and potential career paths.

2. What resources are available for learning physics and math?

There are many resources available for learning physics and math, such as textbooks, online courses, videos, and interactive simulations. You can also seek out a tutor or join a study group to supplement your learning. Many universities and libraries also offer resources and support for self-study.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning physics and math?

Staying motivated while learning physics and math can be challenging, but setting specific goals and breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable chunks can help. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, try to find real-world applications of what you are learning to stay engaged and interested.

4. Is it possible to learn physics and math on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics and math on your own. It may require more discipline and self-motivation, but with the right resources and determination, you can successfully learn these subjects on your own. It may also be helpful to seek out online forums or communities where you can ask questions and get support from others who are also self-studying.

5. How can I apply what I have learned in physics and math to my daily life?

Physics and math have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, understanding mathematical concepts can help with budgeting and financial planning, while physics principles can explain everyday phenomena like gravity, electricity, and motion. Additionally, problem-solving skills gained from learning these subjects can be applied to various situations in life, both personal and professional.