I want to do an egg drop by submerging the egg in fluid. Which fluid is best?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of packaging an egg to prevent it from breaking when dropped from a height. The goal is to find a lightweight and small packaging, and the use of a fluid is being considered. The participants also mention the importance of finding the optimal fluid with the right yield stress and viscosity to minimize the impact on the egg's shell. Suggestions are made for fluids that could potentially work, such as toothpaste and cornstarch in water. However, the use of liquid breathing for acceleration protection is deemed impractical due to the difficulty of finding a suitable breathing medium with similar density to water.
pa5tabear
The basic idea is to package an egg so that it will not break when I drop it off a roof (assume 10m tall). The packaging should be as small and lightweight as possible. I know using a fluid will be rather heavy, but I'm still curious about his.

How would I determine the optimal fluid to use? I know I would want it to move as much as possible to reduce the force on the egg's shell as it decelerates. Of course I would not want the egg to hit the walls of the container, though.

I'm thinking I would want a fluid with an appropriate yield stress to almost match the breaking force of the shell, and then have a low viscosity so that it can decelerate significantly.

Does this sound correct? Should I think about other stuff?

PS: My high school sister is doing the drop. I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've done this before, and although I don't remember the exact fluid I used, I do remember having the best results by shooting for as close to neutral buoyancy as possible.

(Also, yield stress doesn't really have much of a meaning when it comes to fluids, since by definition, a fluid will yield under any stress)

Also, you'll want to ensure a high enough viscosity of the liquid to ensure that the egg does not hit the bottom of your container at a high speed.

Thus I would test a high viscosity liquid with significant buoyancy. Hence, basically your egg would only be submerged on impact, but not so much that it hits the bottom of the container (also think of the container design)

pa5tabear said:
<snip>

I'm thinking I would want a fluid with an appropriate yield stress to almost match the breaking force of the shell, and then have a low viscosity so that it can decelerate significantly.

Two fluids come to mind- toothpaste and cornstarch in water (try different amounts of cornstarch to fine-tune the response). I'm curious if this will work, actually...

Since this is about a schoolwork project, I've moved the thread from Classical Physics to HH/Intro Physics. We should not be doing his sister's project for her. Suggesting experiments that she can do to optimize her entry should be fine.

you can learn about the principle behing this concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing
Space travel
Liquid immersion provides a way to reduce the physical stress of G forces. Forces applied to fluids are distributed as omnidirectional pressures. Because liquids cannot be practically compressed, they do not change density under high acceleration such as performed in aerial maneuvers or space travel. A person immersed in liquid of the same density as tissue has acceleration forces distributed around the body, rather than applied at a single point such as a seat or harness straps. This principle is used in a new type of G-suit called the Libelle G-suit, which allows aircraft pilots to remain conscious and functioning at more than 10 G acceleration by surrounding them with water in a rigid suit.
Acceleration protection by liquid immersion is limited by the differential density of body tissues and immersion fluid, limiting the utility of this method to about 15 to 20 G.[53] Extending acceleration protection beyond 20 G requires filling the lungs with fluid of density similar to water. An astronaut totally immersed in liquid, with liquid inside all body cavities, will feel little effect from extreme G forces because the forces on a liquid are distributed equally, and in all directions simultaneously. However effects will be felt because of density differences between different body tissues, so an upper acceleration limit still exists.
Liquid breathing for acceleration protection may never be practical because of the difficulty of finding a suitable breathing medium of similar density to water that is compatible with lung tissue. Perfluorocarbon fluids are twice as dense as water, hence unsuitable for this application.

1. What is the purpose of submerging the egg in fluid for an egg drop?

The purpose of submerging the egg in fluid for an egg drop is to create a cushioning effect and reduce the impact force on the egg when it hits the ground. This helps to prevent the egg from cracking or breaking upon impact.

2. Which type of fluid is best for an egg drop?

The best type of fluid for an egg drop is a viscous fluid, such as corn syrup or honey. These fluids have a high viscosity, which means they are thicker and more resistant to flow. This helps to create a stronger cushioning effect for the egg.

3. How does the type of fluid affect the outcome of an egg drop?

The type of fluid used in an egg drop affects the outcome by determining the level of cushioning and resistance to impact force. Thicker and more viscous fluids are better at cushioning and reducing impact force, while thinner fluids may not provide enough protection and may cause the egg to break.

4. Can any fluid be used for an egg drop?

Technically, any fluid can be used for an egg drop. However, it is important to choose a fluid with a high viscosity to ensure the best results. Some common fluids used for egg drops include corn syrup, honey, and vegetable oil.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when doing an egg drop with fluid?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when doing an egg drop with fluid. First, make sure to choose a container that is strong enough to hold the fluid and the weight of the egg. Also, be cautious when dropping the egg to avoid splashing or spilling the fluid. It is also important to clean up any spills immediately to prevent slipping hazards. Lastly, avoid using any corrosive or toxic fluids for the safety of both the egg and the environment.