Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to Ionize Hydrogen in a Balloon

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    Right now I blow up latex balloons with hydrogen. I am using the 20KV from a TV anode. I don't seem to be able to just stick the bare wire end of this HV source to ionize the Hydrogen. Covering the outside of the balloon with tin foil and putting the 20KV on that did next to nothing.

Any ideas how I can ionize the hydrogen inside the balloon?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You like to play dangerous games, don't you !

The answer why it doesn't work is that the pressure of the hydrogen is too high, and the electric field too low: you have 20 KV over several cm at 1 bar, this is simply not strong enough.

But I would urge you to stop doing what you do: if ever you have a leak, and you have a spark because of the HV, then you will have a rather powerful hydrogen explosion.

4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    No I am just using just a little hydrogen in about 10" Balloons, even if ignited it would just flash about like a fire cracker, but even a 20KV arc that popped the balloon didn't catch it on fire.

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    So nobody knows

So nobody knows how to do this, well I have some ideas

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Since you already know, then this thread is moot.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?