Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to know more about series convergence (elementary)

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    I am able to use a variety of methods to check to see if a series converges, and I can do it well. However, it's not something I feel like I've intuitively conquered.

I don't understand why the series 1/x diverges. I mean, I do, in that I know the integral test will give me the limit as x -> infinity of ln|x| which grows without bound, and I understand why the integral test makes sense, but I don't get it.

Why does it matter how quickly the function approaches 0 on an infinite plane?

Is there really an infinite area under the curve 1/x, but a finite one under 1/x^2? Why? What's so different about the two?

Does someone understand my concern? Is there some link between 1/x being the "standard" for whether or not a series converges and the behavior of ln x (increases extremely slowly?)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think I understand your concern. But I'm afraid there is no easy answer. You find it not intuitively true that the series 1/n diverges but 1/n2 does not. I don't think I can explain to you why, except to say that they do.

However, I can give you an intuitive proof why 1/n converges:

[tex]1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{7}+\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{10}+...[/tex]

[tex]\geq 1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8}+\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{16}+...[/tex]

[tex]\geq 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} + ...[/tex]

So this shows why our series diverges. We can even use this to find how fast the series diverges.

Likewise, one can indeed show that 1/x has infinite area and 1/x2 has finite area.

I know it isn't intuitive, but it's something you need to get used to.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Have you come across formal methods for convergence involving norms or are you in the early stages of your degree?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook