I want to know the explanation of this problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure in a cylinderical jet of water with a diameter of 4mm and the surface tension of water being 0.0718 N/M. The formula used is ΔP= σ/r, with the answer being 0.0718/2*10^-3. The person questioning initially thought the formula should be ΔP= 2σ/r, but later understood the correct formula.
Amr719

Homework Statement

By How much does the pressure in a cylinderical jet of water 4mm in diameter exceed the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere if the surface tension of water is 0.0718 N/M?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔP= σ/r=0.0718/2*10^-3 , This is the answer I have but I don't understand from where did he get this law . Isn't it supposed to be ΔP= 2σ/r instead ?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Amr719 said:

Homework Statement

By How much does the pressure in a cylinderical jet of water 4mm in diameter exceed the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere if the surface tension of water is 0.0718 N/M?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔP= σ/r=0.0718/2*10^-3 , This is the answer I have but I don't understand from where did he get this law . Isn't it supposed to be ΔP= 2σ/r instead ?[/B]
On what basis do you feel it should be ΔP= 2σ/r?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
On what basis do you feel it should be ΔP= 2σ/r?

Chet
Sorry I was wrong , I understand it now

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to investigate and solve problems. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

2. How do scientists come up with explanations for problems?

Scientists use the scientific method to come up with explanations for problems. This involves making observations, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to test a hypothesis. If the results support the hypothesis, it is considered a possible explanation for the problem.

3. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their explanations?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of their explanations by using rigorous and well-designed experiments, collecting and analyzing data carefully, and conducting peer review to have their findings evaluated and critiqued by other experts in the field.

4. Can scientists ever have a definitive explanation for a problem?

While scientists can come up with explanations for problems based on current evidence, these explanations are always subject to change as new evidence and technology becomes available. Therefore, a definitive explanation for a problem may not be possible.

5. How can explanations from science be useful in solving real-world problems?

Explanations from science can be useful in solving real-world problems by providing evidence-based solutions and insights. By using the scientific method and constantly testing and refining explanations, scientists can provide practical solutions to a wide range of problems in fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.