1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to study Chemistry, What can I do?

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    Hi! I need advices for posibilities...I'm from Argentina...I am 21...this is my situation: in my country studying in universities is free in public universities...so it is very common to start to study something and then change the major...so I first study music for a year, then I leave it and I did nothing for a year more less...then I started to studying English teacher, this is my second year, I need three years more to end the university, but this year I got facinated by Chemistry and science, I'd say I love it, and I want to study chemistry or something related with science, this sometimes make me a little sad because I already choose what I'm doing which is a good thing to...so when I finish this major I'd like to start Chemistry, I need advices because I will need money at the same time if my parents dont help me which would be to much...so, I was thinking to study programming on my own while I do this college career and then make apps or programs to earn money...but I'm not sure...is there a good work to study at the same time?? what could I do to reach what I want?...(I cant do both degrees at the same time because both are in the morning)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're fascinated with chemistry, so your solution is to do programming? Something doesn't make sense..

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    to make money to study chemistry in the university...if I build an app I have to work today but if it is a good one I'll get paid along the time without doing anything but waitting

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What are the chances of that happening? Just a question.

And your plan is to stop university and develop an app instead?

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5
    mmm..I dont really know...I know...I know xP..

and no, not at all, I'm finishing the degree for sure...I just don't know what to do...I was studying chemistry at the same time...but I'm worried about the future...do u study chemistry?

7. Nov 25, 2015 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The O.P. is young and has not thought through everything yet. My recommendation? Study Physics first, and then try Chemistry, since some concepts may seem clearer that way; not absolutely necessary, but may be helpful. And also, sure! Study some computer programming. You will find uses for programming in Chemistry, Physics, or almost any field or interest.

8. Nov 25, 2015 #7
    The app market is absolutely saturated with apps. Even if you build a good app, it may not make you much money. Most apps don't make any significant amount of money, certainly not enough to live on.

If you are interested in becoming a computer programmer then by all means make an app, as it'll be good practice. Just don't expect it to pay your way through university. Of course it might, but then so might buying a lottery ticket.

9. Nov 25, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a good chemistry app, you might become a hundredaire or more. It depends on the exchange rate a lot.

10. Nov 25, 2015 #9
    yeah that was one of my ideas n.n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook