1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying I want to study for a Masters degree in the US

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1

pitbull

Gold Member

Hello everyone,

I am from Spain and I am in the last year of my bachelor in Physics. I am actually very interested in moving in the US to get a masters degree, but I cannot afford to pay the tuition, and I was not able to find any full scholarship that I could apply for. Any advice that you guys could give to me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

TA? How's your English?

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3

pitbull

Gold Member

Pretty good, I have already spent two years studying in an English speaking country.

Do you think being a TA would allow me to not pay any tuition fee, or I would still have to pay a percentage?

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends upon the institution, but when I was in grad school, STEM areas were always short of TAs. Cross your fingers its still that way.

Edit: No percentage, as long as you carried a "full" teaching load, which was a couple sections, labs or study groups.

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Are you planning to get a master's degree only, or a master's then a Ph.D.?

In the US, a physics Ph.D. program is the equivalent of a separate master's and Ph.D. elsewhere, and includes the master's-level coursework. Students normally enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree, and normally receive financial support (via a combination of teaching and research assistantships) for the entire program.

Physics master's degrees are usually "terminal master's" that are not intended to lead to a Ph.D. They're usually for training in specific areas for industrial work, or for high-school teachers looking to upgrade their credentials and salary.

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

May I suggest that you read "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay to start with? In particular, pay attention to Parts VI and VII, which may apply to you directly.

Zz.

8. Nov 9, 2016 #7

pitbull

Gold Member

Thank you for the information, it's been quite helpful. And if I didn't end up going to graduate school in the US, and I got my Ph.D/masters in Europe, would I be less likely to find a job in the US? (my idea is to end up moving in the US sooner or later).

9. Nov 9, 2016 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

After the result of the election last night, do you still want to go to the US to find a job? You have only less than a couple of months left before The Donald closes our borders!

Finding a job in the US is a crapshoot, and most employers (especially in the private sector) will not sponsor anyone without already having a valid working visa, regardless of where you got your degree.

Zz.

10. Nov 9, 2016 #9

pitbull

Gold Member

Do you really think that Trump's victory will have an effect on my chances of finding a job/degree program in the US?

11. Nov 9, 2016 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I was being facetious when I made my earlier statement. To be able to answer your question here will require that I make baseless speculation, which is against the forum's rules.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted