What Exactly Do I Need To Study (Chemistry)

In summary, to be able to make your own substances such as Chloroform and glycerine, you will need to either study a degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, industrial chemistry or chemE with a minor in chemistry. If self-studying, you can use the same books used by chemistry majors or chemical engineers. Additionally, you will need a significant amount of money and a proper set up at home, including a fume cabinet and possibly a license depending on your country's regulations. There are also online communities and resources available for chemistry enthusiasts.
Arthur Donovan
Hy , i m a chemistry beginner

I m trying to be autonom in everything
And i want to be able to make my own substances.
For instances Chloroform , glycerine etc
And many other basic substances

So what do i need to study in order to make these substances correctly in a lab .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to study:

1. Either a degree in chemistry or chemical engineering or industrial chemistry or chemE with minor in chemistry.

If self studying:

1. The same books for chemistry majors and/or chemical engineers.

Chemistry the central science (the book)
^ is pretty good, there were some good sources on the deep web but they have gone I think. There are online communities for chemistry too which are really good..

And apart from this, you need a lot of money and a proper set up at home, one that includes a fume cabinet and maybe even a license depending on which country and how far you want to take this hobby.

Last edited:
Thank you very much !

Wait , what sources on the deep webb?
Can t i find it normally ?

Or buy them ?

Sorry for late reply btw.

I was really interested in chemistry ad researched a lot of stuff.

One website I reccomend is this:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/

the book is "chemistry: the central science" or other college level books (look at university literature)

1. What is Chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, composition, and interactions with other substances. It is a broad field that includes the study of atoms, molecules, and their transformations.

2. What subjects do I need to study to learn Chemistry?

To study Chemistry, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and calculus. You will also need to have a good understanding of physics, biology, and environmental science. Additionally, courses in computer science and statistics can be helpful in understanding chemical data and analyzing experiments.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in science to study Chemistry?

While a strong background in science can be beneficial, it is not necessarily a requirement to study Chemistry. As long as you have a curious mind and a willingness to learn, you can succeed in studying Chemistry. However, having a basic understanding of scientific principles and concepts can make the learning process easier.

4. What skills are important for studying Chemistry?

Some important skills for studying Chemistry include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills. It is also important to have good laboratory skills, such as proper lab techniques and safety procedures. Additionally, strong mathematical skills and the ability to interpret data and graphs are essential for understanding chemical processes and reactions.

5. What career options are available for those who study Chemistry?

Studying Chemistry opens up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, forensic science, and many more. Some common job titles for Chemistry graduates include chemist, research scientist, laboratory technician, and environmental consultant. A background in Chemistry can also lead to careers in teaching, patent law, and science writing.