I want to study physics(bsc phy)

• Thread starter Alpharup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: India, good luck.In summary, Sharan wants to study physics in college but is unsure if the education system in the U.S. will be a good fit for him. He also wants to know if there is a lot of rote learning in the U.S. education system. He recommends that he try out foreign universities or top class institutes in India before making a decision.
Alpharup
I have completed my high school in India. I want to study physics(bsc phy). My parents want me to do engineering. But I want to question nature. Iam interested in mathematics too. When I was 11 years, I was introduced algebra. Most of my friends would just apply the formulae without knowing how it came. I read the proof of each and every formulae out of my own interest. I also have the inquistiveness to find my own proof or formula. I like solving problems in both math and physics. The problem in my state(India is divided in different states) is that it encourages rote learning. For example, the question paper reads"Define force, inertia",etc.. In this type of questions, you have to write as it is in the textbook. There is no free thinking here. Everyone wants to pass the exams with good scores. Problems in my Phy textbook are much more boring. You only have "pug and chug" problems where two quantities are given and you have to find the third one. You should memorise the working of ruby laser, geiger muller counter, etc,,etc. All the information has to be memorised. I truly hated this system. Instead of reading my school book, I read some foreign books like Resnick-Halliday which were more application oriented.

Now, my problem.. Even if I take physics in local colleges,i have to face these dilemmas. Due to these problems, I got low scores in exams. Iam able to explain most of my friends, the concepts of physics. So, i want to know the education system in USA. I like to construct various working models, solve various problems(both numerical and practical) and increase my understading of nature. I would like to ask doubts in class. Would US Phy education suit me? Will there be free thinking or is there rote learning system as in my state? How are the exams conducted? Do these exams only test the memory or will they also test application and understading of concepts? Please help. Also suggest some good Universities in USA

Physics news on Phys.org
U.S. education system would be better but more expensive. You can try out universities in other states. Not all universities are the same, and its difficult(or even impossible) to do physics through rote learning. You should not be dependent on the system to teach you things but try to learn things on your own independently. You may want to check out I.I.Sc.'s new four year B.S. program. Other schools also have such programs like BITS Pilani.
U.S. education system has its own negative points as well like very little spare time to explore concepts and ideas on your own. U.S. grad school IMO gives too much focus on calculations and too little on concepts and ideas.

My advice to you is to complete Bsc physics in India and crack JAM entrance. It's the best you can get in India.

Hey sharan!
Hi, I'm also from India and in the same position as you are in , I'm 17yo.
I very well know about the rote learning system of the education boards, but you don't have to leave the country for that,
why don't you try books for IIT JEE and BITSAT, these exams are not at all based on rote learning, you need a pure understanding of the concepts to solve the problems,if you are interested in problem solving then you must try books of indian authors like h.c.verma, d.c.pandey for physics,
problems plus a das gupta mathematics, if you are not able to get a foreign university (because of financial problems,etc) then you may complete your undergraduate in top class institutes like IITs or BITS PILANI, Its depends on you whether you want to do pure sciences of engineering ,explain your parents what you are passionate about and they will surely understand, the fact is you need engineering as a back up option to earn

First of all, I want to commend you for your passion and interest in studying physics. It takes a lot of determination and curiosity to question nature and seek understanding in the field of physics. I can understand your dilemma with your parents wanting you to pursue engineering, but I believe it is important to follow your own interests and passions in your academic pursuits.

In regards to your concerns about the education system in the United States, I can assure you that there is a strong emphasis on critical thinking and application in the field of physics. Most universities in the US have a more hands-on approach to teaching, where students are encouraged to ask questions and think critically about concepts rather than just memorizing information. Additionally, there are many opportunities for students to engage in research and experiments, which can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.

As for exams, they typically involve a mix of both conceptual and application-based questions. It is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying principles and concepts in order to do well on exams.

In terms of universities, there are many top-ranked institutions in the US for physics such as MIT, Caltech, Stanford, and Harvard. However, there are also many other excellent universities that offer strong physics programs, so I would suggest doing some research and finding a university that fits your specific interests and goals.

In conclusion, I believe that the US education system would suit your interests and goals in studying physics. It encourages critical thinking, application, and hands-on learning, which seems to align with your approach to learning. I wish you all the best in your academic journey and hope that you find a university that will inspire and challenge you in the field of physics.

1. What is the difference between a BSc in Physics and a BA in Physics?

A BSc in Physics is a Bachelor of Science degree, while a BA in Physics is a Bachelor of Arts degree. The main difference between the two is that a BSc in Physics focuses more on the mathematical and scientific principles of physics, while a BA in Physics may have a more interdisciplinary approach and include courses in the humanities or social sciences.

2. What are some common career options for someone with a BSc in Physics?

Some common career options for someone with a BSc in Physics include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, and technical writer. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue further education in fields such as medicine, law, or business.

3. Is a BSc in Physics a difficult degree to obtain?

Like any science degree, a BSc in Physics can be challenging. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a strong interest in understanding the laws of the universe. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and achievable degree.

4. What skills will I gain from studying for a BSc in Physics?

Studying for a BSc in Physics will not only give you a deep understanding of the laws of nature, but also develop your critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills. You will also gain experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating complex ideas effectively.

5. Can I pursue a BSc in Physics if I have not studied physics before?

Yes, you can pursue a BSc in Physics even if you have not studied physics before. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and at least a basic understanding of physics concepts. Many universities also offer introductory courses for students with no prior background in physics.