I with this question on velocity/displacement

• Thread starter Starscream.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity and displacement in a given scenario. The equation for velocity is provided and the answer for speed is given, but the person is unsure about how to find the velocity and displacement. They are asked to specify the direction for velocity and are given an explanation of displacement as distance in a particular direction. It is also mentioned that if the person has worked with vectors before, this exercise would be easier.
Starscream.

Homework Statement

http://www.isarapix.org/pix8/1233492541.png

Homework Equations

velocity = displacement / time taken

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the answer to speed but not velocity because I honestly do not know how to do it.

The answer to speed is 1.05 meters per second. and the distance from a - c is 316meters.------

Help would greatly appreciated since this is due tomorrow morning. If you need any more information or need me to be clearer, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a speed in a particular direction. You just need to specify the direction. For example, how many degrees north of east?

But I'm not sure what or how to figure out displacement. If the equation to velocity is "velocity = displacement/time taken" then I'll need to know the displacement to answer the question.

Thanks.

Think of displacement as distance in a particular direction. In your problem, the displacement vector would be depicted as an arrow going from A to C. You already know its length; all you need is its direction.

Question: Have you ever worked with Vectors before? Because that would render this entire exercise rather trivial.

Related to I with this question on velocity/displacement

1. What is the difference between velocity and displacement?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time and is typically measured in meters per second. Displacement is the distance between an object's starting and ending position and is typically measured in meters.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is velocity = displacement/time.

3. What is the SI unit for velocity and displacement?

The SI unit for both velocity and displacement is meters per second (m/s).

4. How is velocity represented graphically?

Velocity can be represented graphically as a slope on a position-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity of the object.

5. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's starting and ending position, while distance is a scalar quantity that only considers the total amount of ground an object has covered. Displacement can be positive, negative, or zero, while distance is always positive.