Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice Age Aborigines Made It To America?

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    There is a surprisingly strong amount of evidence to support this idea. http://www.cenpat.edu.ar/diversidad/PDFsRolo/12-Neves et al. 2004.pdf. I've just read an amazing book linked to this speculation, see attachments. The only given theory as to how they could have made it is by boat. I beg to differ.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    An article link to the subject is BBC article. A TV documentary on the fascinating subject is http://www.66stage.com/documentaries.php?pl=veo&url=v8599875xfrFqs3g [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 27, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a similair theory that eastern Canada was reached by europeans during the ice age.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4
    Yes, I've read about the Solutrean Hypothesis, although that was speculated to be only around 15,000 years ago. The Aboriginal connection goes back to 40,000 years ago with first class scientific evidence. Footprints of First Americans. More information can be found at Dr Silvia Gonzalez.

6. Mar 3, 2009 #5
    Is this a 'touchy' subject for Americans? Or is it simply too improbable?

7. Mar 3, 2009 #6
    It's indeed very touchy. There is a powerful movement that insists that the Clovis people were the first to enter into America via the Beringia landbridge some 11,000 carbon dated ago, where they started to sent the naive megafauna to the eternal hunting fields (Martin hypothesis), as they were not aware of the danger of man. That's the essential part. So if there were man earlier than that, they must have coexisted with the megafauna and cancelling out the naive element of the hypothesis.

8. Mar 3, 2009 #7
    Thanks for that input, Andre. Dr Silvia Gonzalez believes that the original inhabitants were wiped out by the new arrivals with their advanced technology. They simply couldn't compete. Tough world back then. Note that the Holocene extinction event started 30,000 years ago in the Pacific islands. Wikipedia Holocene extinction. The evidence is even more convincing in Wikipedia Quarternary extinction. Notice the absence of South America in the graphs of human arrival vs extinction. There is clearly a case to be made for a temporary land bridge due to an uplift of the crust being the reason for human arrival to Australia and South America around 40,000 years ago in my opinion. Although the ideas may be painful to some, this shouldn't be used as an excuse to inhibit the advancement of science, which benefits us all in the long run.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. Mar 4, 2009 #8

baywax

Gold Member

There is always the chance that a migration of Neaderthal or other people came from europe over ice sheets covering the north Atlantic. This is the theory for the appearance of the clovis tools in New England... dating around 17,000 bp... but for the 40,000 year old migration there is plenty of evidence for advancing and receding ice sheets providing access to North America along the north Atlantic via Greenland.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=e952f0dab8ea51bfaaff981684be10ed

Andre may be able to correct my thinking here!

But, to continue... there were upper paleolithic peoples in northern europe during the time... 40,000 years ago... who may have made their way to North America via the ice sheets that sometimes gripped the northern Atlantic....

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v413/n6851/abs/413064a0.html

10. Mar 4, 2009 #9

baywax

Gold Member

On a side note there is proof that Neanderthals roamed the planet rather than staying in one particular area for life.

http://chem11.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=UFO&action=print&thread=398 [Broken]

Incidently, this link I've given you is the most fascinating collection of "digging in the dirt" reports I've ever seen. Check out the other stories!

11. Mar 4, 2009 #10

baywax

Gold Member

On a side note there is proof that Neanderthals roamed the planet rather than staying in one particular area for life.

http://chem11.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=UFO&action=print&thread=398 [Broken]

Incidentally, this link I've given you is the most fascinating collection of "digging in the dirt" reports I've ever seen. Check out the other stories!

12. Mar 4, 2009 #11
    The idea of a European ancestor (Solutrean culture) for the Clovis has been entertained before. There are several problems though

13. Mar 4, 2009 #12
    Firstly, fantastic report links Baywax, nice find for sure. The above is potentially possible, but the skeletal evidence I have given at the beginning points to a South-East Asian/Australasian origin. Maybe it was both?

The interesting report about additional Ice-Rafted Debris found in layers just off South-East Greenland reminded me of another thread. A periodic increase of the North Atlantic current is mentioned, which seems to fit perfectly with an earlier discussion. The ice-berg discharge could be limited to north-eastern Greenland perhaps, due to the Gulf Stream reaching new untouched ice flows.

Edit - and now I've just seen the 'digging in the dirt'! I love this kind of stuff! Here's a sciencemag article which shows just how strange and complex the New World migration appears to be article.

Edit - and now I've just uncovered evidence of a parent massive body within the solar system! Meteorites may be remnants of destroyed dwarf planet

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  14. Mar 4, 2009 #13

baywax

Gold Member

Andre, I gave an article specific to the 40,000 year bp time period in an attempt to show a possible Neanderthal or Cromagnon migration during that time. But, I wasn't sure about the source there

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...ff981684be10ed [Broken]

The idea of the Solutrean culture migrating to New England either floating on an ice sheet or walking across one is related to the period 17,000 ybp. The same idea is applied here with another 23,000 years added to the date.!

15. Mar 18, 2009 #14

baywax

Gold Member

Mammo said
    Good point. I've reluctantly excavated skeletal remains up and down the BC coast and there have been asian features pointed out in these remains ranging between 2000 - 6000 years old (approx.) But we are limited to the artifacts and evidence of human tools and their work when it comes to finding out who predominantly occupied the North West or North North West of North America.

Here's a great synopsis of some of the earliest finds in this area.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/firstnations/habitation.html [Broken]

So we're seeing that a group of the Bluefish people of 15,000 years ago are using similar tools to the Dyukhtai culture of Siberia. But we also have tools showing up out in the prairies that pre-date the Bluefish Caves by up to 25,000 years.

The idea that some people in Northern France, 40,000 bp were hunting or on a fishing expedition or whaling, perhaps becoming stranded on a large cruise-liner of ice and traveling with a current to North America, is not so hard to believe.

How would the climate have been for this troupe of travelers back then?

16. Mar 19, 2009 #15
  17. Mar 19, 2009 #16
    Wikipedia suggests that mankind was sailing from island to island during the last ice age! There's no evidence of boat use from this time, let alone the sophistication of rigging and masts.

Wikipedia Holocene Extinction See the Pacific including Hawaii section. Also check out the originator of the Australasian connection with the first American inhabitants Wikipedia Paul Rivet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook