Idea of greater force as neccesary to do anything

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newton's third law, which states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The speakers question how this law applies to everyday actions, such as walking and pulling a trigger. It is explained that the opposing forces may not be noticeable, but they still exist as interactions between two objects. The law is further clarified with a mathematical equation, and it is reiterated that these forces do not prevent motion, as they are acting on different objects.
Jessie
hello anyone i am new here and i will admit to no credentials of any kind on any physics subject now i don't know if it was Newton or einstein but whoeveres law it is that states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction seems? to have something very wrong with it.to me it seems that if i use any amount of kinetic energy to say make my leg move under said physical law shouldn't there be some indivisible force welling up in front of my knee to stop it ?shouldnt some force or some absorbing force?happen to prevent the crankshaft in my snowmachine from turning period when i pull on the starting rope to go for a ride with my friends into the mountains or to prevent my finger from pulling the trigger on my rifle when i hunt moose. it goes on and on and on any and all answers to this would be greatly appreciated but probably not well understood aparently?

Physics news on Phys.org
hold a sandbag/other equally random object in your hands while standing on some bathroom scales. now yank the object upwards as fast as possible, and observe the scales (this'll be tricky, pulling and observing simulatenously). put simply, there is your "opposing" force.

As for walking, the opposing actions are that you are pushing the Earth away from you (not to any measureable degree, of course) as well as forcing air out of the space in front of your leg. There are also internal ones, what with the relationship between bones and tendons and muscles. The effect doesn't have to be noticeable to you for it to be there.

The trick to understanding Newton's third law is to recognize that a force is actually an interaction between two objects. When you pull the trigger on your rifle, your finger and the trigger are interacting.

The action and reaction refer to the effects of the interaction on the two interacting objects. So, for example, when your finger exerts a force on the trigger, the trigger must exert and equal force back on your finger.

To put this more mathematically, we consider two interacting objects, A and B. Newton's third law states that:
[tex]\vec F_{A \rightarrow B} = - \vec F_{B \rightarrow A}.[/tex]

This mean that the force A exerts on B is equal in strength and opposite in direction to the force B exerts on A.

Since these forces are acting on different objects, in no way do they prevent motion, since the only forces that can affect any object's motion are those acting directly on it.

Parlyne hit the nail on the head, but I'd like to emphisise it again: Although the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction they act on different objects

1. What is the "idea of greater force" and why is it important?

The idea of greater force refers to the concept that in order to cause any change or motion, there needs to be a force that is greater than the opposing forces. This is important because it helps us understand and explain how objects move and interact with each other.

2. Is the idea of greater force applicable to all situations?

Yes, the idea of greater force applies to all situations where there is movement or change. This includes everyday activities such as walking and driving, as well as more complex scientific phenomena.

3. Can a small force overcome a greater force?

In some cases, yes. This is known as an unbalanced force, where the force acting in one direction is greater than the force acting in the opposite direction. However, in most situations, a greater force is needed to overcome or balance out a smaller force.

4. How is the idea of greater force related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The idea of greater force is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the Second Law which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. How does understanding the idea of greater force benefit us in everyday life?

Understanding the idea of greater force can help us in many ways. It allows us to predict and explain how objects will move and interact with each other, which is useful in fields such as engineering and physics. It also helps us in practical situations, such as driving a car or playing sports, where we can use the concept of greater force to our advantage.