Ideal book to learn Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the person is an undergraduate with interest in theoretical particle physics and is looking for resources to learn quantum field theory. They mention their background in particle physics, quantum physics, and relativity, and express interest in starting to learn before pursuing a Master's degree. They have seen books like Mandl and Shaw, Landau and Lifgarbagez in the university library, but are looking for more up-to-date sources. The expert suggests using the search function to find old threads on qft textbooks and mentions new editions of Mandl and Shaw. They also recommend Aitchison & Hey and David Tong's online notes, as well as videos for learning. They advise against starting with Peskin and Schroeder or Zee, but suggest
Higgs137
I'm an undergraduate with interest in theoretical particle physics. No course available in QFT. I have background in particle physics, quantum physics and relativity. Want to start learning it before going for M.Sc
I've seen books like Mandl and Shaw, Landau and Lifgarbagez in university library.
I've heard that it is better to learn such subject from up to date sources.
Can you suggest me some books.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is probably no such thing as the ideal qft book, your best bet is to get a bunch of them at the library and see which works for you... The most popular choice appears to be Peskin & Schroeder. Another one you might want to look into is Zee, qft in a nutshell, which is more conversational in tone and focuses more on the big picture than on how to do calculations.

There are a bunch of old threads here on qft textbooks, use the search function!

By the way there is a new revised edition of Mandl and Shaw.

I agree with the advice on David Tong's notes in conjunction with his lecture series.

I would advice against Peskin and Schroeder, because of its size. I also advice against Zee as a first read, because, well.. it doesn't really teach you much about the computational side. (sorry niklaus!)

1. What is the best book to learn Quantum Field Theory?

The best book to learn Quantum Field Theory depends on your level of knowledge and understanding of physics and mathematics. Some popular options include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki, and "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder. It is recommended to read reviews and sample chapters to determine which book suits your learning style.

2. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to learn Quantum Field Theory?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential to understanding Quantum Field Theory. It is recommended to have a thorough understanding of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and group theory before attempting to learn Quantum Field Theory. Some introductory textbooks may review these topics, but it is still important to have a solid background in mathematics.

3. How long does it take to learn Quantum Field Theory?

The time it takes to learn Quantum Field Theory varies depending on the individual's level of knowledge and dedication. It is a complex and advanced topic, so it may take several months to a year to fully understand the concepts and mathematical techniques. It is important to be patient and practice consistently to develop a strong understanding of Quantum Field Theory.

4. Is it necessary to have a physics background to learn Quantum Field Theory?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a formal degree in physics to learn Quantum Field Theory. However, a basic understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is recommended. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics.

5. Are there any online resources or lectures available to supplement learning from a textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and lectures available to supplement learning from a textbook. Some popular options include online video lectures from universities such as MIT and Yale, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and online forums and discussion boards for students to ask questions and discuss concepts. It is important to use these resources in addition to a textbook to enhance understanding and clarify any confusion.