Ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf.

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with resistors and an ideal battery. The size and direction of current i1 is being sought, and the total energy dissipated by all four resistors in one minute is also being calculated. The relevant equations for finding current and resistive dissipation are mentioned. The solution for part a involves finding the equivalent resistance and determining the current in the positive direction to the right. For part b, the solution involves adding up the energy dissipated by each resistor, which is calculated using the current and resistance values.
Mike88

Homework Statement

In the figure below, R1 = 5.50 , R2 = 18.0 and the ideal battery has an emf E= 12.0 V.
(a) What is the size and direction of current i1? (Take right to be positive.)

(b) How much energy is dissipated by all four resistors in 1.00 min?

Homework Equations

I = E/R
resistive dissipation
P=i2R
P=v2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble trying to find the equivalent resistance to find the current i1. I know it should be in the positive direction to the right.

For part b should i just add up the dissapations for the 4 resistors?

Physics news on Phys.org
What figure? =D
For part b you are correct, P = I2R is the energy dissipated on that resistor, so you'd have to find the corresponding value of the current going through a particular resistor.

noumed said:
What figure? =D
For part b you are correct, P = I2R is the energy dissipated on that resistor, so you'd have to find the corresponding value of the current going through a particular resistor.

I forgot to attach it but i figured the problem out anyway.

What is an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf?

An ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf is a theoretical model used to understand the behavior of electrical circuits. It consists of 4 resistors connected in series or parallel and a single emf (electromotive force) source, such as a battery or generator.

What is the purpose of an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf?

The purpose of an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf is to analyze and calculate the flow of current and voltage in a circuit. It allows for simplified calculations and predictions of circuit behavior.

How do you calculate the total resistance in an ideal circuit with 4 resistances?

The total resistance in an ideal circuit with 4 resistances can be calculated by adding the individual resistances together in series or using the appropriate formula for resistors in parallel. For example, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the resistors, while in a parallel circuit, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of each resistor.

What is the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf?

In an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf, Ohm's law states that the current flowing through the circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current will also increase, while an increase in resistance will result in a decrease in current.

What are some real-world applications of an ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf?

An ideal circuit with 4 resistances and one emf can be applied to various real-world situations, such as analyzing the behavior of electric circuits in household appliances, electronic devices, and electrical systems. It is also used in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and transportation.