1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas inside a sphere under the influence of gravitational field

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have an ideal gas consisted of N classical particles, each having mass m. The system is inside a spherical bottle of radius R and is inside the gravitational field of the earth. The system is also in thermal equilibrium with a heat reservoir which has temperature T. I have to find the partition function and the energy of the system.

2. The attempt at a solution

The problem I face is finding the energy of a single particle. I'm confused regarding the potential energy. My solution is in the pdf file. Is there something wrong with the spherical coordinates?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm assuming you're placing the origin of the coordinate system in the middle of the sphere and directing the z-axis upward. The potential energy depends on how high the particle is, not how far it is from the origin, so U=mgr isn't correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook