Ideal gas inside a sphere under the influence of gravitational field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Thunderbird88
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We have an ideal gas consisted of N classical particles, each having mass m. The system is inside a spherical bottle of radius R and is inside the gravitational field of the earth. The system is also in thermal equilibrium with a heat reservoir which has temperature T. I have to find the partition function and the energy of the system.2. The attempt at a solution

The problem I face is finding the energy of a single particle. I'm confused regarding the potential energy. My solution is in the pdf file. Is there something wrong with the spherical coordinates?
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you're placing the origin of the coordinate system in the middle of the sphere and directing the z-axis upward. The potential energy depends on how high the particle is, not how far it is from the origin, so U=mgr isn't correct.