Ideal Gas Law: Solving for V with Constant R: Units L or m3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anisotropic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 58K views
anisotropic
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
When using the ideal gas law equation and solving for V, with constant R = 8.314 J·mol−1·K−1, what are the resultant units? L or m3?

I always remember it being in L, but wouldn't it be m3 based purely on the units being put into the equation?

Other units I'm using:

P: Pa (not kPa)
T: K
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
For L one uses 8.314x103
Alternatively, there's also the other commonly used unit system, seen in R=0.0821 L-atm/(K-mol)
 
anisotropic said:
When using the ideal gas law equation and solving for V, with constant R = 8.314 J·mol−1·K−1, what are the resultant units? L or m3?

I always remember it being in L, but wouldn't it be m3 based purely on the units being put into the equation?

Other units I'm using:

P: Pa (not kPa)
T: K


what you need to know to answer the question is that [itex]1 Pa = 1 N/m^2[/itex] (Newton per meter squared) and that [itex]1 N = 1 J/m[/itex] so that [itex]1 Pa = 1 J/m^3[/itex] which shows that V comes out in [itex]m^3[/itex]