How to Convert Ideal Gas Constants from Mass-Based Units to Molar-Based Units?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
2h2o
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Ideal gas unit conversions

Homework Statement



The ideal gas constants used in this text are typically mass-based: kJ / (kg*K). It is more useful to have them in units of kJ / (kmol*K). How to convert them using data from this text?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'd think that this is a problem in which I'd consult the periodic table to obtain the molecular mass of a given compound, but the P. table is not included. I have steam tables, gas-constant/critical point properties tables, etc. Seems like such a simple question, yet I'm not seeing the path. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a computer. Surely you can find a periodic table somewhere on the internet.
 
Yes, obviously. I also have numerous chemistry books. But the problem specifically states to use data contained within the text--there is no periodic table within. Hence, my confusion.

Converting grams to moles is trivial with a PT. Without the PT; I don't understand...
 
Nevermind, I found a table in the text that lists molecular masses of some selected compounds. The problem is reduced to triviality, afterall.

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just include a PT on the frontsheet or at least appendix, like every other science book I've encountered? What kind of Thermodynamics book wouldn't include one? Silly!

Cheers