Ideal Gas Law - spacing between particles of the gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
sjt420
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



One mole of an ideal gas is a temperature 300K adn at 1.00 atm pressure. a) find the volume. b) Estimate the average spacing between the particles of the gas.

Homework Equations


For the first part I used PV=nRT and solved for V to determine the volume which I found to be 2.46 x 10 ^-2 cubic meters.



The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start for the average spacing between the particles. Any tips or ideas would be great! Thank you.

I went on working some more problems and found one mentioning density. Is that what this is asking for? If so, I still need some help identifying a formula or something for the density. thanks again.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the particles placed on the corners of a cubes, neatly packed all over space:
if the distance between 2 closest neighbors is d, how may particles per volume would you have?

In your case, you know how many particles [I hope you know what a "mole" is] per volume, so you can infer d this way.
 
Or if you want to imagine the particles in some other nice symmetric configuration, that's fine too. You just need an estimate of the spacing.

Even a simple dimensional argument will give a correct answer.