1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law - spacing between particles of the gas

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One mole of an ideal gas is a temperature 300K adn at 1.00 atm pressure. a) find the volume. b) Estimate the average spacing between the particles of the gas.

2. Relevant equations
    For the first part I used PV=nRT and solved for V to determine the volume which I found to be 2.46 x 10 ^-2 cubic meters.

3. The attempt at a solution I have no idea where to start for the average spacing between the particles. Any tips or ideas would be great!!! Thank you.

I went on working some more problems and found one mentioning density. Is that what this is asking for? If so, I still need some help identifying a formula or something for the density. thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    Imagine the particles placed on the corners of a cubes, neatly packed all over space:
    if the distance between 2 closest neighbors is d, how may particles per volume would you have?

In your case, you know how many particles [I hope you know what a "mole" is] per volume, so you can infer d this way.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    Or if you want to imagine the particles in some other nice symmetric configuration, that's fine too. You just need an estimate of the spacing.

Even a simple dimensional argument will give a correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?