Derivation of ideal gas heat capacity relationship

In summary, under conditions of constant pressure and volume, the specific heat at constant pressure is greater than the specific heat at constant volume.
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Do not understand a derivation in Physical Chemistry by McQuarrie and Simon.
The text derives [itex]C_p-C_v=nR[/itex] for ideal gasses. They start with $$H = U + PV = U + nRT$$ for ideal gas. Since U is only a function of temperature for an ideal gas, the right-hand side is only a function of temperature so $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \frac{dU}{dT} + nR$$. Now the text does something I don't understand.

First they set $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p = C_p$$ Why can they assume constant pressure here? I feel like I am missing something fundamental.

Similarly, they set $$\frac{dU}{dT} = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V = C_v$$. Again, I don't understand why they can assume constant volume.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of definition, not assumption.

##C_p## denotes specific heat at constant pressure.
##C_v## denotes specific heat at constant volume.

Likes jasonRF
kuruman said:
It's a matter of definition, not assumption.

##C_p## denotes specific heat at constant pressure.
##C_v## denotes specific heat at constant volume.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I asked my question very clearly. I understand the definitions of ##C_v## and ##C_p##. What I don't understand is why $$\frac{dH}{d T} = \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P$$ is true.

For an ideal gas, H and U depend only on T.

Likes jasonRF
You have
$$\mathrm{d} U = T \mathrm{d} S - p \mathrm{d} V,$$
and thus
$$C_{\text{V}}=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V=\left (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_{V}.$$
Further from ##H=U+pV## you get
$$\mathrm{d} H = T \mathrm{d} S + V \mathrm{d} p,$$
and thus
$$C_{\text{p}}=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_p=\left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial T} \right)_{p}.$$

Likes jasonRF
jasonRF said:
TL;DR Summary: Do not understand a derivation in Physical Chemistry by McQuarrie and Simon.

The text derives [itex]C_p-C_v=nR[/itex] for ideal gasses. They start with $$H = U + PV = U + nRT$$ for ideal gas. Since U is only a function of temperature for an ideal gas, the right-hand side is only a function of temperature so $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \frac{dU}{dT} + nR$$. Now the text does something I don't understand.

First they set $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p = C_p$$ Why can they assume constant pressure here? I feel like I am missing something fundamental.

Similarly, they set $$\frac{dU}{dT} = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V = C_v$$. Again, I don't understand why they can assume constant volume.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Perhaps a detailed derivation is in order.

Case I: Constant volume
Start with
##H=U+nRT## (definition with ideal gas)
Then
##(dH)_V=(dU)_V+nR~dT##
The first law says
##(dU)_V=(dQ)_V## because the work done by the gas is zero.
Then$$(dH)_V=(dQ)_V+nR~dT \implies \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V+nR=C_V+nR.$$Case II: Constant pressure
Start with
##H=U+pV## (definition)
Then
##(dH)_p=(dU)_V+d(pV)=(dU)_p+p~dV.##
The first law says
##(dU)_p=(dQ)_p-pdV##
Then$$(dH)_p=(dQ)_p \implies \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_p=C_p.$$As @Chestermiller already remarked, ##H## depends only on temperature, i.e. it doesn't matter whether the enthalpy is changing under constant volume or constant pressure. Therefore $$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p$$ Hence, $$C_p=C_V+nR.$$

Likes jasonRF
Thanks everyone. It makes more sense to me now. My brain can be slow sometimes!

Cheers!

Jason

1. What is the ideal gas heat capacity relationship?

The ideal gas heat capacity relationship is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the heat capacity of an ideal gas and its temperature and molar mass. It is often used in thermodynamics and is derived from the ideal gas law.

2. How is the ideal gas heat capacity relationship derived?

The ideal gas heat capacity relationship is derived using the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It involves manipulating the ideal gas law and using the definition of heat capacity to arrive at the final equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the ideal gas heat capacity relationship?

The ideal gas heat capacity relationship is derived under the assumption that the gas is ideal, meaning that it follows the ideal gas law and its molecules have no volume or intermolecular forces. It also assumes that the gas is in a constant pressure environment.

4. What is the significance of the ideal gas heat capacity relationship?

The ideal gas heat capacity relationship is significant because it allows us to calculate the heat capacity of an ideal gas at any temperature and molar mass. This is useful in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the ideal gas heat capacity relationship?

Yes, the ideal gas heat capacity relationship is only applicable to ideal gases and does not take into account the effects of intermolecular forces or non-ideal behavior. It also does not apply at very low temperatures or high pressures. In these cases, more complex equations must be used.