Derivation of ideal gas heat capacity relationship

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
606
TL;DR
Do not understand a derivation in Physical Chemistry by McQuarrie and Simon.
The text derives [itex]C_p-C_v=nR[/itex] for ideal gasses. They start with $$H = U + PV = U + nRT$$ for ideal gas. Since U is only a function of temperature for an ideal gas, the right-hand side is only a function of temperature so $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \frac{dU}{dT} + nR$$. Now the text does something I don't understand.

First they set $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p = C_p$$ Why can they assume constant pressure here? I feel like I am missing something fundamental.

Similarly, they set $$\frac{dU}{dT} = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V = C_v$$. Again, I don't understand why they can assume constant volume.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of definition, not assumption.

##C_p## denotes specific heat at constant pressure.
##C_v## denotes specific heat at constant volume.
 
kuruman said:
It's a matter of definition, not assumption.

##C_p## denotes specific heat at constant pressure.
##C_v## denotes specific heat at constant volume.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I asked my question very clearly. I understand the definitions of ##C_v## and ##C_p##. What I don't understand is why $$\frac{dH}{d T} = \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P$$ is true.
 
You have
$$\mathrm{d} U = T \mathrm{d} S - p \mathrm{d} V,$$
and thus
$$C_{\text{V}}=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V=\left (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_{V}.$$
Further from ##H=U+pV## you get
$$\mathrm{d} H = T \mathrm{d} S + V \mathrm{d} p,$$
and thus
$$C_{\text{p}}=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_p=\left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial T} \right)_{p}.$$
 
jasonRF said:
TL;DR Summary: Do not understand a derivation in Physical Chemistry by McQuarrie and Simon.

The text derives [itex]C_p-C_v=nR[/itex] for ideal gasses. They start with $$H = U + PV = U + nRT$$ for ideal gas. Since U is only a function of temperature for an ideal gas, the right-hand side is only a function of temperature so $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \frac{dU}{dT} + nR$$. Now the text does something I don't understand.

First they set $$\frac{dH}{dT} = \left( \frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p = C_p$$ Why can they assume constant pressure here? I feel like I am missing something fundamental.

Similarly, they set $$\frac{dU}{dT} = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V = C_v$$. Again, I don't understand why they can assume constant volume.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Perhaps a detailed derivation is in order.

Case I: Constant volume
Start with
##H=U+nRT## (definition with ideal gas)
Then
##(dH)_V=(dU)_V+nR~dT##
The first law says
##(dU)_V=(dQ)_V## because the work done by the gas is zero.
Then$$(dH)_V=(dQ)_V+nR~dT \implies \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V+nR=C_V+nR.$$Case II: Constant pressure
Start with
##H=U+pV## (definition)
Then
##(dH)_p=(dU)_V+d(pV)=(dU)_p+p~dV.##
The first law says
##(dU)_p=(dQ)_p-pdV##
Then$$(dH)_p=(dQ)_p \implies \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_p=C_p.$$As @Chestermiller already remarked, ##H## depends only on temperature, i.e. it doesn't matter whether the enthalpy is changing under constant volume or constant pressure. Therefore $$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_p$$ Hence, $$C_p=C_V+nR.$$
 
Thanks everyone. It makes more sense to me now. My brain can be slow sometimes!

Cheers!

Jason