1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Voltage in Series w/ resistance

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A device can be modeled using an ideal voltage source in series with a resistance. That
    device is shown in Figure P2.2. A set of resistors was connected to the terminals of the device, one at a time, and the voltage at the device terminals, vt, was measured in each case. The results are shown in Table P2.2. Then, a 10[Ω] resistor was connected to the terminals of the device. Find the power absorbed by this 10[Ω] resistor, when it is connected to the device terminals.

Please see image

2. Relevant equations

KVL, KCL, Ohm's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help setting up the problem. The resistors are connected one at a time, but are they connected in series with respect to eachother or parallel with respect to eachother.

I assume the resistances given in the table are Req as opposed to the value of the individual resistors added to the circuit. I am also assuming the final 10 ohm resistor is connected after the three resistor set is removed.

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

Shane

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

CEL

I believe that each resistor replaces the precedent one.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

OK, say the ideal voltage source and the internal resistance Rsource are in series to illustrate the device in question between terminals A and B. Each resistor in the table is connected to the terminals A and B one at a time and the resistances in the table are the resistances of the three resistors. So now to model the device I need to solve for the internal resistance(Rsource) and from there I can figure out the rest.

Thanks for the reply,

Shane

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

CEL

You're welcome!

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5

vk6kro

Science Advisor

There might be a problem with this question.

The current into the load resistor is increasing as the resistor value increases. (0.6A 1.6A 5.6A)

If the device in the box was a voltage source in series with a resistor, you would expect the current into the load to decrease with increasing resistance.

This increased resistance and reduced current are what causes the internal voltage drop to be less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook