Ideas for a nuclear research project

In summary, the person is seeking ideas for a 3rd year design lab in nuclear physics, preferably in plasma physics. They have limited experience and resources, but can order instruments from elsewhere. They are looking for specific examples of undergraduate lab reports involving plasma as a source of inspiration.
zheng89120
I have a huge 3rd year design lab unit coming up for the next semester. The lab is very much independent work, and I would like something in nuclear physics (preferable in plasma physics). But I have barely any experience coming up with a hypothesis/experiment of my own.

Do you guys have any ideas on what kind of thing I can look at to get some ideas. Actual ideas would be great, if you can come up with one that you're not going to do yourself.

Physics news on Phys.org
What resources do you have available?

Almost everything, I can probably order instruments from elsewhere if I want to (i don't know the budget)
Although there is no plasma physics lab on campus

zheng89120 said:
Almost everything, I can probably order instruments from elsewhere if I want to (i don't know the budget)
Although there is no plasma physics lab on campus
It's going to be hard to help you without more specific information. Is this a student lab? Clearly you can't just buy anything you want.

Ok, asking for a whole idea for a big research project is too much

As for equipment, we a variety of undergrad lab instruments (in queen's university in Kingston)
We are allowed to order instruments that can be purchased by civilians and universities without complicated negotiations (as long as they're not too expensive)

Does anyone have links to undergraduate lab reports involving plasma?
That may be the best way to just come up with an "semi-creative" idea

Last edited:

1. What are some potential ideas for a nuclear research project?

There are many potential ideas for a nuclear research project, including studying nuclear energy production, exploring new materials for nuclear reactors, investigating nuclear waste management strategies, examining the effects of radiation on living organisms, and developing new nuclear technologies for medical applications.

2. What is the process for conducting a nuclear research project?

The process for conducting a nuclear research project typically involves identifying a research question or topic, conducting a literature review to understand the current state of knowledge, designing experiments or simulations, collecting data, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. How long does a nuclear research project typically take?

The duration of a nuclear research project can vary greatly depending on the scope of the project, the availability of funding and resources, and the complexity of the research. Some projects may take a few months to complete, while others may take several years.

4. What are some potential challenges or limitations of a nuclear research project?

Some potential challenges or limitations of a nuclear research project may include the high cost of conducting experiments or simulations, the need for specialized equipment and facilities, ethical considerations related to radiation exposure, and potential safety hazards associated with working with nuclear materials.

5. How can the findings from a nuclear research project be applied in the real world?

The findings from a nuclear research project can have various real-world applications, such as improving the safety and efficiency of nuclear power plants, developing new medical treatments using nuclear technologies, and informing policies and regulations related to nuclear energy and waste management. Additionally, the research can contribute to our overall understanding of nuclear science and may lead to further advancements in the field.