Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for QM undergrad research project

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone!

I am an undergraduate student interested in quantum physics. I want to do a project in quantum but do not know how to come up with a good idea to start with. I have read the book Zettili and most of the book Cohn-Tannoudji. so I think I am able to work on a good idea. Any idea would be very appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What kind of project should that be? Is it a research project? Is it experimental or theoretical? Quantum theory is a very broad field. It's hard to guess what you are supposed to do.

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    I think what I can do right now is just theory. and yes it is a research project or more precisely an undergraduate research project. Also I like to work on problems needed to be solved using the WKB method, variational method or other methods. so things like these I can work on. What do you offer to me? how to pick out a problem and how to start the work?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. Sep 14, 2014 #4
    Electronic structure problems in computational chemistry and physics rely on variational methods quite heavily and are fairly approachable for an undergraduate with moderate quantum mechanics background.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook