Ideas from previous Nobel prize winners

In summary: Thank you for your reply. This is actually different from what I am asking for. These are theoretical concepts that can be tested experimentally, but there is no guarantee a priori that the theory is correct. For example Higgs boson was an appealing theory, but there were others (e.g. technicolor) aiming to explain the same thing. So there was a chance that the Higgs wasn't found, because it didn't exists. My question was about experimental ideas that were hard to be implemented in the past, but now we might have a chance. As in the paper I linked, that idea was proposed 30 years ago. The reason why it wasn't implemented was the technological barrier. But unlike the Higgs case,
kelly0303
Hello! I just read this paper and it seems like that idea has been proposed about 30 years ago by a Nobel prize winner. I was wondering if there are other experimental concepts proposed in the past that scientists couldn't implement back then but nowadays we could (or in the near future). How can I make a literature search about that (other than finding it by chance)? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a somewhat common occurrence. The Nobel committee doesn't generally like to award the prize to theoretical results without some connection to experimental proof. That's why, e.g., awards for the Higgs boson, gravitational waves, etc., weren't given until the last decade, even though these phenomena were theoretically predicted back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Why is this Career Guidance?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is this Career Guidance?

Where should we move it? Other Physics, GD?

berkeman said:
Where should we move it? Other Physics, GD?
Moved to Other Physics Topics.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Where should we move it?
I'm not sure. I think there needs to be some OP input.

TeethWhitener said:
This is a somewhat common occurrence. The Nobel committee doesn't generally like to award the prize to theoretical results without some connection to experimental proof. That's why, e.g., awards for the Higgs boson, gravitational waves, etc., weren't given until the last decade, even though these phenomena were theoretically predicted back in the 1960's and 1970's.

Thank you for your reply. This is actually different from what I am asking for. These are theoretical concepts that can be tested experimentally, but there is no guarantee a priori that the theory is correct. For example Higgs boson was an appealing theory, but there were others (e.g. technicolor) aiming to explain the same thing. So there was a chance that the Higgs wasn't found, because it didn't exists. My question was about experimental ideas that were hard to be implemented in the past, but now we might have a chance. As in the paper I linked, that idea was proposed 30 years ago. The reason why it wasn't implemented was the technological barrier. But unlike the Higgs case, where we had no control on whether the Higgs boson is real at all or not, it was pretty clear that once we have the right tools we can implement that idea in that paper. My questions is about experimental, not theoretical ideas.

1. What are some common themes or topics among Nobel prize-winning ideas?

Some common themes among Nobel prize-winning ideas include groundbreaking research, innovative solutions to important problems, and significant contributions to the advancement of knowledge in various fields such as physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, and economics.

2. How have Nobel prize-winning ideas impacted society?

Nobel prize-winning ideas have had a profound impact on society by shaping our understanding of the world, improving our quality of life, and driving progress in various fields. For example, Nobel prize-winning research has led to the development of life-saving medicines, groundbreaking technologies, and revolutionary theories.

3. Are Nobel prize-winning ideas always accepted by the scientific community?

No, Nobel prize-winning ideas are not always accepted by the scientific community. In fact, some Nobel prize-winning ideas were initially met with skepticism and controversy before being widely accepted. This is because the scientific community relies on rigorous testing and peer review to validate ideas, and some Nobel prize-winning ideas may challenge existing beliefs and paradigms.

4. Can Nobel prize-winning ideas be replicated or built upon by other scientists?

Yes, Nobel prize-winning ideas can be replicated or built upon by other scientists. In fact, the Nobel prize committee often recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to a particular field, rather than the sole discoverer of an idea. This encourages collaboration and the advancement of knowledge through building upon existing ideas.

5. How do Nobel prize-winning ideas inspire future generations of scientists?

Nobel prize-winning ideas serve as a source of inspiration for future generations of scientists by showcasing the power of curiosity, creativity, and perseverance in scientific discovery. These ideas also demonstrate the potential impact of scientific research on society and inspire young scientists to pursue their own innovative ideas and make a difference in the world.