Ideas to mitigate risk of 911 calls being misdirected

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the author suggests that in order to improve response times for 911 calls, the caller's location should be known, the caller should be routed to an operator who works for the caller's carrier, and all cities and towns should work with neighboring cities and towns and states. Additionally, the caller's county and state should work with neighboring counties and states, and the caller's state should work with neighboring states. The author also predicts future challenges with accepting digital messages from cell phones.
moonman239
So, everyone knows that sometimes a 911 call can be routed to the wrong call center when you're calling from a cellphone. Well, I have a few ideas as to ways of keeping response times as high as possible.

1) Route all 911 calls to an operator who works for the user's carrier. If the user provides no location, the operator will call the closest 911 call centers. So if you see or have a medical emergency on the border of, say, New Mexico and Texas, the operator will hopefully see based on the data given by your cell phone that you are at least close to the border, and call the NM state police and the TX state troopers.

2) Have all cities & towns work with the county and state they are in and with neighboring cities and towns and states. Also have all counties work with neighboring counties and the state as well as neighboring states Further, have each state work with neighboring states.
Then, if a caller says there's an accident at 620 Central Ave, but the jurisdiction whose 911 call center the call was routed to does not recognize the address, the address and incident can be stored in a database of calls which is sorted by priority so that an operator at a neighboring call center who recognized the address can send help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Many areas have improved their 9-1-1 handling of cell phone calls significantly over the past few years. I'm impressed by the 9-1-1 cell phone call responses that I see here in my area (Northern California, including Santa Clara County and Alameda County).

I recently e-mailed the supervisor of my city's Dispatch Center (a person that I know from some activities that we are both involved in) to ask about what seemed to me to be new capabilities that our city had in receiving 9-1-1 cell phone calls. His response is very interesting. Especially the part where he said *he* dials 9-1-1 on his personal cell phone, instead of using the direct-dial numbers for Dispatch that emergency responders have!

We upgraded our phone system in 2006 in anticipation of the wireless upgrade and started to receive wireless 9-1-1 calls directly in 2007 as each of the carriers reached that level of capability. In our city we activated each carrier as soon as possible. Other agencies opted to hold off on major carriers because of the expected call volume increase. At that time, if the pattern of coverage contained a freeway segment it went directly to CHP, so it was still hit and miss for those events in areas near highways 84 and 880.

CHP spent quite a bit of time and effort in the last couple of years working with the local agencies plotting the calls received from each antenna on each cellular tower. We did that for each cell carrier in order to see which agency received the majority of calls from each antenna. That cleaned the system up quite a bit. I still have the 7 digit emergency numbers in my cell phone, but in the Bay Area I now would use 9-1-1 first.

And of course smarter phones with GPS chips make the system work even better. The next challenge is being able to accept digital messages from cell phones. We are looking at upgrading our 9-1-1 system as soon as there is a standard developed as each carrier seems to handle those differently. At that time, probably a couple of years away, we would start receiving 9-1-1 texts and even videos from cell phones. I foresee challenges in my future!

1. What factors contribute to 911 calls being misdirected?

There are several factors that can contribute to 911 calls being misdirected, including caller error, technical issues with the phone system or dispatching software, and human error on the part of the call taker or dispatcher. Additionally, outdated or incorrect address information can also lead to misdirected calls.

2. How can technology be used to mitigate the risk of misdirected 911 calls?

Technology can play a crucial role in reducing the risk of misdirected 911 calls. This can include implementing enhanced caller location tracking systems, utilizing caller ID technology, and implementing software that can automatically correct address information based on the caller's location.

3. What training do call takers and dispatchers receive to prevent misdirected 911 calls?

Call takers and dispatchers undergo extensive training to ensure they are able to handle emergency calls accurately and efficiently. This includes training on how to gather and verify caller information, how to use the dispatching software effectively, and how to handle high-stress situations. Ongoing training and refresher courses are also important to keep these skills up-to-date.

4. Are there any regulations or standards in place to prevent misdirected 911 calls?

Yes, there are regulations and standards in place to help prevent misdirected 911 calls. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has regulations in place for wireless carriers to provide accurate location information for 911 calls. Additionally, the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) has established standards for 911 call handling and location accuracy.

5. How can the public help to reduce the risk of misdirected 911 calls?

The public can play an important role in reducing the risk of misdirected 911 calls by ensuring that they always provide accurate and up-to-date address information when calling 911. It is also important to remain calm and provide clear and concise information to the call taker. In cases where a caller may not know their exact location, providing nearby landmarks or cross streets can also be helpful in directing emergency responders to the correct location.