1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idempotent matrix problem - HELP

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    idempotent matrix problem - HELP :(

Hi, I have the following problem with an idempotent matrix and I am stuck...

If A is an idempotent (A^2 = A), is E - nA invertible /E is the identity matrix and n is a real number/ and why?

I've tried with setting (E - nA)(E - nA) but it doesn't get me anywhere..
    My instinct is telling me there it should be invertible in a lot of the cases, but... :/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: idempotent matrix problem - HELP :(

If (E-nA) were NOT invertible, then there would be a nonzero vector v such that (E-nA)v=0. Where does that lead you?

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3

I am sorry, I am quite new to Linear Algebra I am not really sure what the answer to your question should be... Can you explain a little bit more why there should be a non-zero vector such that (E-nA)v=0?

Thank you for helping me out! You're a life saver!

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If M is a square matrix, then M being invertible is equivalent to the kernel or null space of M being {0}. If M is NOT invertible, then the kernel of M is not {0}. Meaning there is nonzero vector v in the kernel, hence Mv=0. You must have covered this. Can you look back in your book or notes for that kind of thing? It's pretty important.

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5

I checked my notes and as far as I understand you're talking about the invertible matrix theoremy...
    Can we then say that:
    Assuming that E-nA is not invertible means that there will be a non-zero vector x, such that (E-nA)x=0. However, this suggests that E-nA is not row equivalent to E which then implies that E-nA is not a product of elementary matrices. This implies that E-nA is not invertible???

I'm sorry I'm such a pain but I am really lost...

Thanks again..

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making it much too hard. If (E-nA)v=0 then Ev-nAv=0. What is Ev?

8. Oct 15, 2009 #7

Hm..

Well, Ev = nAv => v = nAv .. Doesn't this mean that nA=1?

9. Oct 15, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NO! You can't divide both sides by a vector!!! But it does mean Av=v/n. Now operate on both sides with A again remembering A is idempotent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook