Identification of index of Bragg peaks for NaCl

In summary: If you have the measured intensities, this can be done using a software like PHYSICAL DIFFRACTION IN SOLID STATE ANALYSIS (PDIS) or FOURIER ANALYSIS (FA).Alternatively, you could calculate the relative intensities (using equation (8) from the cited reference) and use these to compare with the known crystal structure.The best way would be to correct the peak positions to a first approximation by applying a simple zero point shift. If you have the measured intensities, this can be done using a software like PHYSICAL DIFFRACTION IN SOLID STATE ANALYSIS (PDIS) or FOURIER ANALYSIS (FA).Alternatively, you
Hello890
In my x-ray crystallography data for a single crystal of NaCl using x-rays generated by Cu k alpha (154 pm), there are three peaks identified at angles of 14.155, 31.475 and 53.5 degrees.
According to http://www.nada.kth.se/~fabo02/solid/xray.pdf, these peaks must correspond to only even values of h, k and l (as there is quite a lot of background noise)
How can I then identify which peak corresponds to which layers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not following the “recipes” given in http://www.nada.kth.se/~fabo02/solid/xray.pdf. As you are using Cu K-alpha X-ray radiation, you can use equation (8) to determine Sqrt(h2 + k2 + l2) for the three measured angles in order to roughly check whether there is something in common. As you are measuring on a NaCl single crystal, the measured peaks must belong to a certain set of planes.

Lord Jestocost said:
Why not following the “recipes” given in http://www.nada.kth.se/~fabo02/solid/xray.pdf. As you are using Cu K-alpha X-ray radiation, you can use equation (8) to determine Sqrt(h2 + k2 + l2) for the three measured angles in order to roughly check whether there is something in common. As you are measuring on a NaCl single crystal, the measured peaks must belong to a certain set of planes.
Many thanks for your reply. I have find the values of h, k, l as being closest to (2, 0, 0), (4, 0, 0), (6, 0, 0) as my parallel planes. Could I use to justify that the structure of the crystal is face-centered cubic?

Hello890 said:
Could I use to justify that the structure of the crystal is face-centered cubic?

I don’t think so. Appropriate aligned crystals with other crystal structures could give rise to a peak pattern which could be assigned in the same way.

Lord Jestocost said:
I don’t think so. Appropriate aligned crystals with other crystal structures could give rise to a peak pattern which could be assigned in the same way.
Can I safely say that the planes identified are indeed the correct ones, even though the plane of the cut of the crystal is unknown? Also, can I use the method in http://pd.chem.ucl.ac.uk/pdnn/diff2/structf.htm to calculate the relative intensities, will the formula work for single crystals as well?

Last edited:
Hello890 said:
Can I safely say that the planes identified are indeed the correct ones, even though the plane of the cut of the crystal is unknown?

As you are measuring on a NaCl single crystal, the planes identified seem to be the correct ones. I am, however, surprised about the measured theta values of 14.155, 31.475 and 53.5 degrees which indicate a severe misalignment of your diffractometer. The correct ones should be 15.85° (200), 33.11° (400) and 55.02° (600) when assuming a lattice parameter of 0.5640 nm.

Lord Jestocost said:
As you are measuring on a NaCl single crystal, the planes identified seem to be the correct ones. I am, however, surprised about the measured theta values of 14.155, 31.475 and 53.5 degrees which indicate a severe misalignment of your diffractometer. The correct ones should be 15.85° (200), 33.11° (400) and 55.02° (600) when assuming a lattice parameter of 0.5640 nm.
Yes, unfortunately the equipment we were given was not well aligned and so an offset had to be taken into account. Should I perhaps identify the planes using the ratio of the sin^2(measured angle 1) / sin^2(measured angle 2 - of next peak) = (h1^2 + k1^2 + l1^2)/ n^2(h2^2 + k2^2 + l2^2)? Would this work?

Hello890 said:
Would this work?

The best way would be to correct the peak positions to a first approximation by applying a simple zero point shift.

1. How is the index of Bragg peaks determined for NaCl?

The index of Bragg peaks for NaCl is determined through a process called X-ray diffraction. This involves bombarding a crystal of NaCl with X-rays, which causes the atoms in the crystal to diffract the X-rays in a specific pattern. By analyzing this diffraction pattern, the index of the Bragg peaks can be determined.

2. What is the significance of identifying the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl?

Identifying the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl is important for understanding the crystal structure of the compound. The position and intensity of these peaks can provide information about the arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice, which can be useful in various scientific and industrial applications.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of identifying the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl?

The accuracy of identifying the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl can be affected by factors such as the quality of the crystal sample, the energy of the X-rays used, and the angle of incidence of the X-rays. Additionally, any impurities or defects in the crystal can also impact the diffraction pattern and therefore, the accuracy of the index of Bragg peaks.

4. Can the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl be used to determine the purity of the crystal sample?

Yes, the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl can be used to determine the purity of the crystal sample. If the crystal is pure, the diffraction pattern will be sharp and well-defined. However, if there are impurities present, the diffraction pattern will be distorted, and the index of Bragg peaks will be more difficult to accurately identify.

5. Are there any other methods besides X-ray diffraction to identify the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl?

Yes, there are other methods such as neutron diffraction and electron diffraction that can also be used to identify the index of Bragg peaks for NaCl. However, X-ray diffraction is the most commonly used method due to its high accuracy and sensitivity in detecting the diffraction pattern of crystals.