Identify this (Electrical) component.

In summary, this drawing appears to be of an electrical box with various components inside. Parts #9, #14, #16 are circular wiring plugs (harnesses? adaptors?) and part #29 is a power transistor.
Swallow
Hi guys, we had an engineering drawing assignment, where we had to prepare Bills Of materials for various components, I did two components, but I can't identify what this third component is (see attached image).

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what in the world this thing is:frown:

btw, this looks like a power meter to me... (although I may be Way off)

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like some type of 3 phase power apparatus, possibly a power factor correction device?

Doesn't look like a meter as I can't see any gauges, but maybe the wiring carries a signal that is used to connect to an outer gauge or other power measuring device.

It's difficult to tell without seeing a circuit schematic. This is just an assembly diagram, do you have any other information about it?

If not, it'd probably take someone who has worked with these types of units before (or at least seen diagrams of them) to tell you exactly what it is.

I'm interested to hear what this assignment is about, just randomly guessing about what an electrical box contains?

The assignment is about writing a bill of materials for this thing...although you're right it seems like I need to guess what the heck this thing is first :D
But we just have to name the parts, not describe the working or anything
We have no other details about the object.

Part #2 appears to be a 3 phase transformer.

Part #4 looks to be a rather large heatsink.

Parts #9, #14, #16 are circular wiring plugs (harnesses? adaptors?)

The 2 cylinders near the upper left look like capacitors.

And part #29 is a power transistor (that's what the large heat sink is needed for!)

http://en.module-china.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=1390" for a picture of part #29.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips.
Looks lke I'm in for a lot of guessing for the other parts

1. What is the purpose of this electrical component?

The purpose of an electrical component can vary depending on its specific function within an electrical circuit. Some common purposes include regulating current, storing energy, converting signals, or controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How can I determine the value of this electrical component?

The value of an electrical component can typically be found by reading the markings or codes on the component itself. These markings often indicate the component's resistance, capacitance, or other important specifications.

3. How do I identify the type of this electrical component?

The type of an electrical component can usually be identified by its physical appearance and any markings or labels on it. Additionally, the component's function and the circuit in which it is used can provide clues to its type.

4. What is the difference between this electrical component and a similar one?

The difference between two similar electrical components can vary depending on their specific functions and designs. It is important to carefully examine the specifications and markings of each component to understand their unique differences.

5. Can this electrical component be replaced with a different one?

In some cases, an electrical component can be replaced with a different one as long as the new component has similar specifications and functions. However, it is important to consult an expert or refer to the circuit's design to ensure compatibility and proper functioning.