I am trying to get fimilar with electrical components. I did some BG

In summary, Dave is trying to figure out if he needs a switch or not to turn on a light using his Axis camera. He found a cheaper option than buying a switch and found a relay that can switch mains voltage.
math111
I am trying to get fimilar with electrical components. I did some BG research on relays. Does this make sense.

1.My systems needs a switch to control a component so that is why I need a relay. It is a micro-switch that will move towards its position(Normally open or Normally Closed) depending on the incoming power over the coil based on how it is wired to NO and NC to the component I am trying to control with the switch.

2. My basic relay diagram below controlling a light(Wired for normally open)
-No power switch is off, Power switch is on.
Switch(Rated at different Power)-<>-----Relay----<>-----Light(At a different Power)
incoming power-->Power of switch-----------------<>-----Relay----<>-----power of light

3. If hooked up in Normally open and I power it on do I even need a switch to turn the light on if it goes on autmatically? If so then would I hook it up thru Normally closed to use a switch to turn it on and off??

This is all new to me so lead me in the right direction so I can pick and choose relays for a project! even the most basic!
Does both my statements make no sense?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
I do not know anything about relays. I been trying for days to hook up a relay to turn on a light using an Axis camera with an I/O switch. This is the relay http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...536&DPU=submit
This is the manual for the Axis 207 207W camera http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/um...58_en_1208.pdf . the camera is 3.3 volt with a max 50ma, I don't even know if this is correct relay. I’m willing to pay someone for help me make this work.

This company http://www.ibou.fr/cameras/cameras.html makes something that works but they are asking 70 euro=110 dollars plus 30 shipping and the relay cost is only 4 dollars. For a relay that cost 5 dollars. I know they need to make a profit but this outrageous.Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

kardamyla ... please don't hijack other people's threads, its rude, start your own one :)

math111 ... been rereading your post and trying to clarify it :)

I think what you are getting at is you have a low voltage circuit (say 12VDC) that is going to activate a relay that is capable of switching mains voltage say 120 or 220VAC (depending on where in the world you are ) is that correct?

maybe something like this circuit I have drawn ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=39817&stc=1&d=1318210982.gif

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• LV Relay Switch.GIF
    LV Relay Switch.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 521

Sorry about that

oops mad a major boo boo in that circuit... too early in the morning and before my first cup of coffee ;)
lets try again...

attachment.php?attachmentid=39929&stc=1&d=1318469497.gif

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Relay.GIF
    Relay.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 483

1. What is the purpose of electrical components?

Electrical components are used to manipulate and control the flow of electricity in a circuit. They can perform various functions such as storing, amplifying, and switching electrical signals.

2. What are the most common types of electrical components?

Some of the most common types of electrical components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components can be found in almost all electronic devices.

3. How do I identify different electrical components?

Each electrical component is labeled with a specific code or symbol that indicates its type and value. You can refer to a component identification guide or use a multimeter to measure the component's characteristics and determine its type.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use a changing electrical current that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant flow of electricity in one direction. AC circuits are used for powering large-scale electrical grids, while DC circuits are used in smaller electronic devices.

5. How can I learn more about electrical components?

There are many online resources, books, and courses available to learn about electrical components. You can also experiment with different components and circuits to gain practical knowledge. Seeking guidance from experienced professionals or joining a community of electrical enthusiasts can also be helpful in learning about electrical components.