Electrical Component with the Letter M?

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework question about a circuit involving comparators, an inverter, and a gate. The question also required a switch to end the sound alarm, labeled as "M." After researching and consulting resources, it was determined that the component needed was a Set/Reset flip flop or possibly a multivibrator.
Simon981
1. Homework Statement

2E283CBF-A02C-4118-8C60-FE2B5BA75528.jpeg

This is the sample answer to the circuit they ask to draw. I get the comparators, the inverter and the Gate. That’s all clear.

Then they wanted a switch that needs to be used to end the sound alarm, regardless of comparator output. I assume this the box labelled M. What component could that be? Surely it’s not a motor. Google and Databooklet didn’t help, so I would appreciate any advice as to what component that Box prior to the speaker could be.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2E283CBF-A02C-4118-8C60-FE2B5BA75528.jpeg
    2E283CBF-A02C-4118-8C60-FE2B5BA75528.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a Set/Reset flip flop.
I don't know where the "M" comes from. "Multivibrator" perhaps??

Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
It's a Set/Reset flip flop.
I don't know where the "M" comes from. "Multivibrator" perhaps??
Sounds right to me. :smile:

What is an electrical component with the letter M?

An electrical component with the letter M is a specific type of electronic device that plays a crucial role in the functioning of electrical circuits. It can be a resistor, capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode, or any other device that is used to control or manipulate the flow of electricity.

What are the common uses of electrical components with the letter M?

Electrical components with the letter M have a wide range of uses in various electronic devices and systems. They can be found in power supplies, amplifiers, motors, lighting systems, and many other devices that require electrical control and regulation.

What is the difference between an electrical component with the letter M and other components?

The main difference between an electrical component with the letter M and other components is the specific function it performs in an electrical circuit. While other components may be used for specific tasks, M components are primarily used for controlling or manipulating the flow of electricity.

How do you identify an electrical component with the letter M?

Electrical components with the letter M can be identified by their unique markings or labels, which usually contain the letter M. Additionally, their shape and size may also give a clue to their function. For example, M components such as transistors and diodes are typically small and have three leads.

Can you give an example of an electrical component with the letter M?

One example of an electrical component with the letter M is a transistor. Transistors are used to amplify or switch electronic signals, and they are essential in the functioning of most electronic devices. They are typically marked with the letter M and have three leads, making them easy to identify.