1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying Subspaces and Subspace Addition

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4580/screenshot20120117at218.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solutiona) Suppose we have two arbitrary vectors of E, call them X,Y. Let X = (2x,x) where x is in R and let Y = (2y,y) where y is in R. If we add X and Y we have (2x,x) + (2y,y) = (2(x + y),x+y) = Z. Addition within the components of Z is just a binary operator. This suggests that if we enter two real numbers for x,y we will get just one real number back. Let z = x +y where x,y,z is an element of R. Since Z is the sum of X and Y, we can write Z = (2z,z) where z is in R, which shows that E is closed under vector addition.

Let r be in R. We will test is rX is still in E. We may say that rX = r(2x,x) = (2rx,rx) = Q. We can restate the argument that multiplication within the elements of Q is again a binary operation. We can say that rx = q, where x,r,q are all in R. This shows that E is closed under scalar multiplication.

b) I won't retype this one out. It basically follows my argument in a) and I concluded that B was also a vector subspace. Unless the former is flawed, I don't think there's a problem.

c) Graphing E,B is R2 seemed pretty easy. Both yielded lines that intersected only at the origin. Thus, I concluded that the only element in both E,B is the zero vector.

d) Consider a scalar m in R such that q does not equal zero and let (2m,m), (m,m) to be two distinct vectors in E U B. Suppose we write, (2m,m) + (m,m) = (3m,2m) = M. This vector is neither in E nor B. Thus, since E U B is not closed under vector addition, it is not a vector space.

e) I wasn't really confident about this last part. I wrote that E + B is just all vectors of the form (2a,a) + (b,b) = (2a + b,a + b). This seems too straightforward, so I think I've done this last part wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

all looks good to me

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook