Identifying the name of a theorem

• Thread starter nuuskur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discussed the theorem on canonical factorization of functions, which states that for any function f from set X to set Y, there exists a function g from the quotient set X/ker(f) to Y such that f can be expressed as the composition of g and the canonical projection function kappa. The participants also mentioned that this theorem and related theorems are often presented through commutative diagrams.
nuuskur
Science Advisor
English is not my first language, all the material I have is in Estonian/Russian. The direct translation of it is something like:
Theorem on canonical factorization of functions - however googling it yields no meaningful result, therefore I'm guessing I have something wrong in the English terminology (I would like to know its English name). The theorem statement in mathematical terms goes as follows:
[itex]\forall f\colon X\to Y, \exists g\colon X/ \ker{f}\to Y\ \ | f = g\cdot\kappa\colon\ \ \kappa\colon X\to X/ \ker{f}[/itex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement or proposition that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and evidence.

2. How are theorems named?

Theorems are typically named after the mathematician or scientist who first discovered or proved them. In some cases, they may also be named after a key concept or property that they describe.

3. What is the process for identifying the name of a theorem?

To identify the name of a theorem, you will first need to understand the concept or problem that it addresses. Then, you can research and consult with other experts in the field to determine the name of the theorem and its origin.

4. Are there different types of theorems?

Yes, there are many different types of theorems, depending on the field of study. Some common types include geometric theorems, algebraic theorems, and statistical theorems.

5. Can a theorem have multiple names?

Yes, it is possible for a theorem to have multiple names, especially if it has been proven by different mathematicians or if it is commonly used in different fields of study.