If 4 coins are tossed, find the probabilities

In summary, the probability of getting 2 heads when 4 coins are tossed is 6/16 and the probability of more than 3 tails is 1/16. However, there was some confusion as to whether the question was asking for exactly 3 tails or more than 3 tails. If it is more than 3 tails, then the probability would be 1/16.
rowdy3
If 4 coins are tossed, find the following probability:

2 heads.

more than 3 tails.

For 2 heads I got 1/16.
More than 3 heads I don't know how to start that problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rowdy3,

First I need to ask do you mean "more that 3 heads" or "more than 3 tails" as you wrote both in you question :D, ill assume for now that you actually meant more than 3 heads.

So you two probabilities would be:

P1 : exactly 2 heads
P2 : more than 3 heads (this could also be written "exactly 4 heads"!)

now first how did you work out exactly 2 heads was 1/16. Show us how you got to that answer , is that in fact correct? then we can help you further :D

Are you using a probability tree, as if you are trying to work out the probability by thinking about it, you may get the incorrect answer, a probability tree will help you visualise the question much easier.

I did it wrong. I should do 4c2/ 2^4 which will come out to 6/16 for 2 heads.
More than 3 tails I don't know how.

With 4 coins, "more than 3 tails" means "3 tails" or "4 tails." Can you find the probability of each? Since these are independent events, their probabilities add.

more than 3 heads.

odds of 1 coin landing on tails 1/2
odds of 2 coins landing on tails 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4
odds of 3 coins tails 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
odds of 4 coins tails 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2* 1/2 = 1/16

rowdy3 said:
more than 3 heads.

odds of 1 coin landing on tails 1/2
odds of 2 coins landing on tails 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4
odds of 3 coins tails 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
odds of 4 coins tails 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2* 1/2 = 1/16

not quite - i would re-write what you have as
T - odds of 1st coin landing on tails 1/2
TT - odds of 1st & 2nd coins landing on tails 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4
TTT - odds of 1st & 2nd & 3rd coins tails 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
and so on...

now consider this case when the coin is tossed 4 times, with only the last toss being a tail, ie.
HHHT
the probabilty of this event (1/2)^4 = 1/16

Any individual ordered outcome will have a discrete probabilty of 1/16, as there are 16 different ordered outcomes...
so there are 4 different ways to get a single tail
THHH, HTHH, HHTH, HHHT
so the total probabilty of a single head will be 4*(1/16) = 1/4

so for the case where you want to find 2 heads, you must sum the probability of all the cases where you have two heads... eg.
HHTT, HTHT, HTTH...
any good ideas on how to count the cases?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, it's more than 3 tails. Would it still be 1/16?

no, any single outcome has probabilty of 1/16,

you need to count all the possible outcomes with 3 or 4 tails...

(note that it may be easier to consider the cases of 1 or less heads, which is equivalent)

Hi guys, I thought Id comment again, surly this is wrong, if the probability was:

"Find the probability of 3 or more tails" (thanks rowdy for clarify which ;D)

then yes it would be the probability of exactly 3 heads (all permutations) and exactly 4 heads (only one permutation), but its not the probability as rowdy wrote it is:

"Find the probability of more than 3 tails"

which is exactly 4 tails, NOT 3 tails (all permutations), in which case rowdy you would be correct with the probability being 1/16, am I crazy or something :D But rowdy awesome on the first one, well done for spotting the mistake.

a) 6/16
b) 1/16

1. What is the total number of possible outcomes when 4 coins are tossed?

There are 16 possible outcomes when 4 coins are tossed. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of possible outcomes for each coin (2) by itself 4 times (2x2x2x2).

2. What is the probability of getting all heads when 4 coins are tossed?

The probability of getting all heads when 4 coins are tossed is 1/16 or 0.0625. This means there is a 6.25% chance of getting all heads.

3. What is the probability of getting at least 2 heads when 4 coins are tossed?

The probability of getting at least 2 heads when 4 coins are tossed is 11/16 or 0.6875. This means there is a 68.75% chance of getting at least 2 heads.

4. What is the probability of getting an equal number of heads and tails when 4 coins are tossed?

The probability of getting an equal number of heads and tails when 4 coins are tossed is 6/16 or 0.375. This means there is a 37.5% chance of getting an equal number of heads and tails.

5. How does the probability change if the coins are biased?

If the coins are biased, the probability of each outcome will change. For example, if one coin is more likely to land on heads, the probability of getting all heads will increase. The specific changes in probability will depend on the bias of each coin.