1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: If a given permutation in S_n has a given cycle type, describe sgn(sig).

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    5.4: If sigma in S_n has cycle type n_1,...,n_r, what is sgn(sig)? (sgn is the sign homomorphism)

2. Relevant equations
    sgn(sigma) = 1 if sigma is even. sgn(sigma) = -1 is sigma is odd
    cycle type is the length of the cycle type. If n_2 = 2, sigma has two 2-cycles.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know what cycle type is (if n_i = j, there are j cycles of length i), and sgn(sigma) is easy. How would I go about expanding (sig) to find how many two cycles I have, if that's even what I should be doing. It doesn't seem that worthwhile to generalize this for cycle type.

I was thinking of writing sgn(sig) as a product of sgn(sig_i) where (sig_i) is an individual cycle of the product of cycles forming (sig), but I don't think that exactly accounts for multiples.

I'm also not sure how to come up with conditions that will say, depending on r, if sgn(sig) = 1, or sgn(sig) = -1.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite following your notation here. But to get the sign you just take (-1)^(number of even length cycles), right?

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    Yup. But since you can write any n-cycle as a product of 2-cycles, how do I account for the cycles of odd length.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cycles of even length break into an odd number of two cycles, cycles of odd length break into an even number. I don't see the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook