If f is even then then left and right integrals are equal

In summary, the given conversation involves the concept of an even function and its properties in relation to integration. It is proven that if a function is even, then the integral from -a to 0 is equal to the integral from 0 to a. This is shown through a substitution and a change in the order of integration limits. The result is a proof that the upper sums of both integrals are equal, thus proving the original statement.
Euklidian-Space

Homework Statement

If ##f## is an even function then $$\int_{-a}^{0} f = \int_{0}^{a} f$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was trying to show the upper sum of both integrals were equal.

Take a partition of [-a,0] call it ##P_{1}##, and ##P_{2}## for [0.a].

if we can show that ##U(f,P_{1}) = U(f,P_{2})## I think that might do it. However, i am not sure how to get there

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be helpful to know that f is even if f(x) = f(-x)

Just do a substitution, say, y=-x. Then the result follows.

momoko said:
Just do a substitution, say, y=-x. Then the result follows.

is that a substitution on the limits or the variable?

Euklidian-Space said:
is that a substitution on the limits or the variable?
Yes (to both). If you change the variable, the limits of integration change as well.

Mark44 said:
Yes (to both). If you change the variable, the limits of integration change as well.

ok i keep getting a negative in there and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. here is my working

$$\int_{0}^{a} f(x) dx = \int_{0}^{a} f(-x) dx $$

let ##y = -x## ##\rightarrow## ##dy = -dx##. So we now have ##-\int_{0}^{-a} f(y) dy = \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy##

now if i sub -x back in for y I get a negative infront again since du = -dx. Any thoughts?

Euklidian-Space said:
ok i keep getting a negative in there and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. here is my working

let ##y = -x## ##\rightarrow## ##dy = -dx##. So we now have ##-\int_{0}^{-a} f(y) dy = \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy##

now if i sub -x back in for y I get a negative infront again since du = -dx. Any thoughts?
Yes. When you reverse the order of the integration limits, the sign of the integral changes.

IOW, ##\int_a^b f(x)dx = -\int_b^a f(x)dx##

Euklidian-Space said:

Please do not start with what you need to prove.
Try to start from LHS and end with RHS.

momoko said:
Please do not start with what you need to prove.
Try to start from LHS and end with RHS.
He (or she) is not starting with what needs to be proved.

fourier jr said:
I think it would be helpful to know that f is even if f(x) = f(-x)
Let f be any odd function, then lim x -> -a (f(-a)-f(x))/(-a-x) = (-f(a) - f(x))/(-a-x) = (f(a) + f(x))/(a+x) = (f(a) - f(-x))/(a-(-x)) = lim y -> a (f(a) - f(y))-(a-y)this proves that f'(-a) = f'(a), now since your function is even, it must be a derivative of and odd function , Good luck ;)
Edit, y = -x , just for the fancy notation !

Mark44 said:
Yes. When you reverse the order of the integration limits, the sign of the integral changes.

IOW, ##\int_a^b f(x)dx = -\int_b^a f(x)dx##

Yeah but isn't that not what we want. Maybe i am not seeing something but it seems we wouldn't want the negative out in front?

Euklidian-Space said:

Try doing the substitution only on one side of the equation you started with.

Noctisdark said:
Let f be any odd function, then lim x -> -a (f(-a)-f(x))/(-a-x) = (-f(a) - f(x))/(-a-x) = (f(a) + f(x))/(a+x) = (f(a) - f(-x))/(a-(-x)) = lim y -> a (f(a) - f(y))-(a-y)this proves that f'(-a) = f'(a), now since your function is even, it must be a derivative of and odd function , Good luck ;)
Edit, y = -x , just for the fancy notation !
lim y -> a (f(a) - f(y))-(a-y) this is meant to be lim y-> a (f(a)-f(y))/(a-y)

vela said:
Try doing the substitution only on one side of the equation you started with.
but i have been working on just one side. i do not see a point where i stop working on the side that I "started" with

Oh, I misunderstood what you wrote. You got
$$\int_0^a f(x)\,dx = \int_0^a f(-x)\,dx = -\int_0^{-a} f(y)\,dy = \int_{-a}^0 f(y)\,dy.$$ Do you see that you've shown what you setting out to prove?

Last edited:
vela said:
Oh, I misunderstood what you wrote. You got
$$\int_0^a f(x)\,dx = \int_0^a f(-x)\,dx = -\int_0^{-a} f(y)\,dy = \int_{-a}^0 f(y)\,dy.$$ Do you see that you've shown what you setting out to prove?

But the variables are different no? When you sub -x back in for y wouldn't you get $$-\int_{-a}^{0} f(-x) dx?$$

Remember the variable of integration is a dummy variable.

vela said:
Remember the variable of integration is a dummy variable.

I am sorry if I am being difficult vela, but I just don't understand why showing

$$\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx = \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy$$
shows that
$$\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx = \int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx$$

if anything i think i have shown...

$$\int_{0}^{a} f(x) dx = -\int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx$$

Last edited:
Euklidian-Space said:
I am sorry if I am being difficult vela, but I just don't understand why showing

$$\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx = \int{-a}^{0} f(y) dy$$
shows that

if anything i think i have shown...

$$\int_{0}^{a} f(x) dx = -\int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx$$
You may want to use the Edit feature to fix your typo !

SammyS said:
You may want to use the Edit feature to fix your typo !
No that's what i meant...

Since dy = -dx we get that negative out in front done we?

Euklidian-Space said:
No that's what i meant...

Since dy = -dx we get that negative out in front done we?
So ##\displaystyle \ \int{-a}^{0} f(y) dy\ ## is not a typo ??

What does it mean ?

SammyS said:
So ##\displaystyle \ \int{-a}^{0} f(y) dy\ ## is not a typo ??

What does it mean ?
oh sorry, didnt see that. it is fixed now.

Euklidian-Space said:

$$\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx = \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy$$
shows that
Well it's like this:

##\displaystyle \ \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy\ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\int_{-a}^{0} f(t) dt\ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\int_{-a}^{0} f(u) du\ ##

It's even equal to ##\displaystyle \ \int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx\ ##

That's what vela means by "it's a DUMMY variable."

SammyS said:
Well it's like this:

##\displaystyle \ \int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy\ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\int_{-a}^{0} f(t) dt\ ##

##\displaystyle \ =\int_{-a}^{0} f(u) du\ ##

It's even equal to ##\displaystyle \ \int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx\ ##

That's what vela means by "it's a DUMMY variable."

Again I am sorry man i just don't understand. dy = -dx right? then how does ##\int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy = \int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx##? when dy = -dx? I do not see how using a "DUMMY variable" justifies dy = -dx to dy = dx

Euklidian-Space said:
Again I'm sorry man i just don't understand. dy = -dx right? then how does ##\int_{-a}^{0} f(y) dy = \int_{-a}^{0} f(x) dx##? when dy = -dx? I do not see how using a "DUMMY variable" justifies dy = -dx to dy = dx
Look at a specific function.

Do the following integrals give different results?
##\displaystyle \ \int_{-2}^{0} (x^2+3) dx\ ##

##\displaystyle \ \int_{-2}^{0} (u^2+3) du\ ##

Likes vela

1. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that the function is symmetric about the y-axis, and its graph will be identical on either side of the y-axis.

2. How does evenness affect the left and right integrals?

If a function is even, then its left and right integrals will be equal. This is because the area under the curve on the left side of the y-axis will be mirrored on the right side of the y-axis, resulting in equal areas.

3. What are left and right integrals?

Left and right integrals refer to the integration of a function over a specific interval on either the left or right side of a given point. The left integral is the area under the curve to the left of the point, while the right integral is the area under the curve to the right of the point.

4. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. An even function is symmetric about the y-axis, while an odd function is symmetric about the origin. This means that if a function is both even and odd, it must be symmetric about both the y-axis and the origin, which is not possible.

5. What are some examples of even functions?

Some examples of even functions include f(x) = x^2, g(x) = |x|, and h(x) = cos(x). These functions all have the property that f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x, making them even functions.