If I cut a magnet at the pole boundary, does it create a one-sided magnet?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnetism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1
If I cut a magnet exactly where the border of its south and north pole is...does it mean I'm creating a one-sided magnet?

Also, are one sided magnets naturally-occurring?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No , you will then create 2 magnets with both north and south poles.
B fields always have a North and a south pole.
 
Ah...that's interesting... thanks :)
 
cragar said:
No , you will then create 2 magnets with both north and south poles.
B fields always have a North and a south pole.

I should say, rather, that B fields (field 'lines') have no end to them - they are looped, passing through more intenser regions, which we tend to refer to as Poles. Inside a permanent magnet (or a solenoid) the field 'lines' are still there.