If i wanted to make a generator .... which equations would I need to use?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter Roxy Hasan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, if you want to make a hydro power project, you need to start by considering the water resources available, such as the flow rate and vertical distance of the water. A good place to start researching is by searching for small hydro generators, as this is a specialized area that aligns well with your civil engineering studies. In terms of equations and design, you will need to understand concepts such as torque, power, and electromagnetics, and you may need to adapt car parts or use a machine shop to design your dynamo. Ultimately, you will need to extract at least 2 horsepower from the water source in order to generate power for your project.
Roxy Hasan
i want to make a generator by rotating turbine by water... i want a equation for speed of the armeture and others please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. Good search terms to get started are small hydro generator. Since you are studying to be a civil engineer, a project like this is definitely in your specialty.

Roxy Hasan said:
i want to make a generator by rotating turbine by water... i want a equation for speed of the armeture and others please help
:welcome:Could you be more specific? An equation is probably one of the last things you need to consider.

Likes russ_watters
If you want to make a hydro power project, the place to start is with your water resources. You need a flow of water running down a vertical distance.

How much water flow (liters per hour) do you have?
How much vertical distance (meters) does the water fall?

Likes russ_watters
i will model the tank for the project.. i will make the minimum pressure needed for that power .. but for that i need to know first how much water head pressure i need to create.. so i wanted yours help for the dianamo equation.. from which i can measure the rotating speed which is releted to the water flow.. i need to create at leadt 2 hp power from the dianamo .. please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
anorlunda said:
If you want to make a hydro power project, the place to start is with your water resources. You need a flow of water running down a vertical distance.

How much water flow (liters per hour) do you have?
How much vertical distance (meters) does the water fall?
jrmichler said:
Google is your friend. Good search terms to get started are small hydro generator. Since you are studying to be a civil engineer, a project like this is definitely in your specialty.
thnx .. but i can't find any suitable or understanding equation from there.. there is all projects and so on.. but I can't find the right formula or way to apply it

i got the equation E= B*v*I .. but i can't understand it good way.. do i need to calculate the I as the full Length of wire ..

is this equation is also applicable for ac current or only dc..

If you really want to build it, you must start with the numbers for the water, not for the electricity.

anorlunda said:
If you really want to build it, you must start with the numbers for the water, not for the electricity.
i know but i i want to creare a project for exibithion.. where i will need to work a 2Hp water pump ... i want to work on structure of water way so i need to know the speed of water then i can make the structure of water way..

here main fact is free eatwa not electricity

Roxy Hasan said:
i know but i i want to creare a project for exibithion.. where i will need to work a 2Hp water pump ... i want to work on structure of water way so i need to know the speed of water then i can make the structure of water way..

OK, that is more clear now. You want to learn about generator design. AC or DC, whichever is easiest

Must you build it from iron and wire, or can you use pays like an alternator from an automobile?

I don't understand "eatwa"

Ping @jim hardy

Likes Roxy Hasan
sorry .. spelling mistake not eatwa .. it is water ..

thnx ... for advising alternator... but i also need to know the equation for it..

how can i easily calculation from alternator... it is more complex... i used iron and wire for less complexibity...

A question well stated is half answered.
Roxy Hasan said:
i want a equation for speed of the armeture

Roxy Hasan said:
i need to create at leadt 2 hp power from the dianamo
Here is a primer on motors. It introduces the concepts of torque and power which will be fundamental to your design effort.
http://www.aspenmotiontech.com/docs/brushless-dc-motor-primer.pdf
It also touches on electromagnetics.

I think your starting point will be here:
horsepower = 2pi X torqueft-lbs X rom / 33,000
so your speed depends on the turbine with which you intend to drive your generator.
You'll have to pick a turbine size and speed from the volume and velocity of water that you have available at your turbine.

Here's a primer on hydraulic power of a pump. A turbine will be similar.

https://www.thermexcel.com/english/ressourc/pumps.htm
upload_2018-8-26_20-45-54.png

that should give you basic vocabulary.
Here's another primer on pump design.
www.psaincorporated.com/files/Pump_Basics.ppt
a turbine is basically a pump with flow reversed.

Then look for a dynamo that'll do what you want.

To design a dynamo from scratch you'll have to become familiar with magnetic unts .
Unless you have access to a pretty complete machine shop, I'd suggest you adapt car parts.

Energy is conserved. So you'll have to extract at least 2hp from your water source.
2hp will move a LOT of water , so you're looking at a sizeable machine.
Go to the hardware store and look at a 2hp yard sprinkler pump.

upload_2018-8-26_20-42-6.png

An automobile torque converter has a turbine in it.
"Home Shop Machinist" magazine a few years back featured steam turbines made from them.
I suppose they'd work with water but I've never seen it done...would be an interesting project

I think you've bitten off a lot for a beginner.
You might look into a simple overthrow water wheel and car alternator driven with bicycle chain.

good luck. .

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_20-42-6.png
    upload_2018-8-26_20-42-6.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 810
  • upload_2018-8-26_20-45-54.png
    upload_2018-8-26_20-45-54.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 854
Likes Roxy Hasan
jim hardy said:
A question well stated is half answered.thnx very very much... i needed just these things for my projects... i really wanted this equation and the types of information you just provide... Here is a primer on motors. It introduces the concepts of torque and power which will be fundamental to your design effort.
http://www.aspenmotiontech.com/docs/brushless-dc-motor-primer.pdf
It also touches on electromagnetics.

I think your starting point will be here:
horsepower = 2pi X torqueft-lbs X rom / 33,000
so your speed depends on the turbine with which you intend to drive your generator.
You'll have to pick a turbine size and speed from the volume and velocity of water that you have available at your turbine.

Here's a primer on hydraulic power of a pump. A turbine will be similar.

https://www.thermexcel.com/english/ressourc/pumps.htm
View attachment 229868

that should give you basic vocabulary.
Here's another primer on pump design.
www.psaincorporated.com/files/Pump_Basics.ppt
a turbine is basically a pump with flow reversed.

Then look for a dynamo that'll do what you want.

To design a dynamo from scratch you'll have to become familiar with magnetic unts .
Unless you have access to a pretty complete machine shop, I'd suggest you adapt car parts.

Energy is conserved. So you'll have to extract at least 2hp from your water source.
2hp will move a LOT of water , so you're looking at a sizeable machine.
Go to the hardware store and look at a 2hp yard sprinkler pump.

View attachment 229867

An automobile torque converter has a turbine in it.
"Home Shop Machinist" magazine a few years back featured steam turbines made from them.
I suppose they'd work with water but I've never seen it done...would be an interesting project

I think you've bitten off a lot for a beginner.
You might look into a simple overthrow water wheel and car alternator driven with bicycle chain.

good luck. .

old jim

I don't need to create it.. just proved it with my talk and presentation .. a small protype will be need .. which i can easily make from my place...

Ahh a Powerpoint turbine ! There are lots of primers out there google found several.

There is an active business in small low head hydro generators for off-gridders .

Try a search, you can get an idea what people are doing out there.

1. What is the equation for calculating the output voltage of a generator?

The equation for calculating the output voltage of a generator is V = B x L x N x ω x cos(θ), where V represents voltage, B is the magnetic field strength, L is the length of the wire in the generator, N is the number of turns in the coil, ω is the angular velocity, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil.

2. How do I calculate the output power of a generator?

The output power of a generator can be calculated using the equation P = VI, where P represents power, V is the voltage, and I is the current.

3. What is the equation for the efficiency of a generator?

The efficiency of a generator can be calculated using the equation η = (Pout / Pin) x 100%, where η represents efficiency, Pout is the output power, and Pin is the input power.

4. How can I determine the size of the wire needed for a generator?

The size of the wire needed for a generator can be determined using the equation d = √(4 x R x L x I / ρ), where d is the wire diameter, R is the resistance of the wire, L is the length of the wire, I is the current, and ρ is the resistivity of the wire material.

5. What is the equation for the frequency of a generator's output?

The frequency of a generator's output can be calculated using the equation f = P / (2 x π x N), where f represents frequency, P is the number of poles in the generator, and N is the rotational speed in revolutions per second.