Would This Setup for a Ball Bearing Accelerator Work?

In summary: I would have explained it more clearly in a way that you could understand. A toroid core is more efficient because it has a smaller magnetic field inside its coils. It also has a higher Q factor, which means that it can generate a stronger magnetic field. An iron core will give you a stronger magnetic field, but it will also be more efficient because it has a smaller core. A ferrite core will give you a weaker magnetic field, but it will also be more efficient because it has a larger core.
WorldWiz
TL;DR Summary
Proposal to Use an Inductor Coil underneath Wire Tracks to Accelerate Ball Bearings
I need a method to accelerate a ball bearing down a pair of wire tracks, and to generate a consistent amount of force on every activation. Please critique my tentative design:

I want to use an inductive coil activated by a proximity sensor to generate a transient EM field to accelerate the ball bearing. Since the ball just runs on a pair of wires, I think I may need to place the coil below the tracks (rather than run the tracks through the center of a solenoid), so that there will be some force keeping the ball from flying off the tracks.

As follow-up questions, I’m also wondering if I would get better current to field strength efficiency with a toroid core inductor coil or with a bar core inductor coil generating the attractive magnetic field? I also don’t entirely understand the Q-factor, so for my purposes, would an iron core or a ferrite core be a better choice?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
WorldWiz said:
I need a method to accelerate a ball bearing down a pair of wire tracks, and to generate a consistent amount of force on every activation. Please critique my tentative design:
Will the ball roll or slide as it travels along the tracks ?
If it rolls, the kinetic energy will be reduced by the rotational energy.
If it slides, the kinetic energy will only be reduced by friction.
If both, the velocity will be unpredictable.

Skin effect will limit the depth of the ball subjected to the magnetic field pulse. The currents and magnetic field, induced in the surface of the ball, will rotate with the ball. You might get a greater launch speed from a hollow sphere, or an aluminium ring.

WorldWiz said:
As follow-up questions, I’m also wondering if I would get better current to field strength efficiency with a toroid core inductor coil or with a bar core inductor coil generating the attractive magnetic field?
So you didn't read my replies in your other thread? That is most disappointing...

1. Can a ball bearing accelerator be used to accelerate objects to high speeds?

Yes, a ball bearing accelerator can be used to accelerate objects to high speeds. By utilizing the principle of conservation of momentum, the ball bearing accelerator can transfer its momentum to the object being accelerated, resulting in high speeds.

2. How does a ball bearing accelerator work?

A ball bearing accelerator works by using a series of ramps and bearings to accelerate a ball bearing to high speeds. The ball bearing is initially at rest at the top of the ramps and gains speed as it rolls down the ramps, eventually reaching high speeds at the end of the ramps.

3. What materials are needed to build a ball bearing accelerator?

The materials needed to build a ball bearing accelerator include ramps (made of wood or metal), bearings (such as steel ball bearings), a release mechanism, and a track or surface for the ball bearing to roll on.

4. What factors affect the speed and efficiency of a ball bearing accelerator?

The speed and efficiency of a ball bearing accelerator can be affected by factors such as the angle and length of the ramps, the smoothness of the track, the weight and size of the ball bearing, and the release mechanism used.

5. Can a ball bearing accelerator be used for practical applications?

While ball bearing accelerators are often used for scientific demonstrations and experiments, they can also have practical applications. For example, they can be used in manufacturing processes to accelerate small objects or in sports equipment such as slingshots and catapults.