Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I were to Calibrate a Graduated Cylinder

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    If I were to calibrate a graduated cylinder, I would;

1. Guesstimate the 50ml mark for a graduated cylinder & fill with water of a known temperature.

2. Drain the water out & weigh it, If you weigh it in a seperate container you must know the weight of the seperate container first & subtract this from the final result.

3. Using the formula [mass=weight/gravity] we find the waters mass & then use

[volume = Density/mass] - density being known as a function of temperature - to find out how

close the volume was to 50ml.

4. Repeat, adding or removing water of the same temperature until you've arrived at 50ml.

Of course there are easier methods but this is one possible way of getting a reasonably accurate graduated cylinder, right?

:biggrin: Gracias :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Dont' use a 2nd cylinder....

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Step 4 would be unnecessary if you actually filled exactly to the 50ml mark in step 1.

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Put the un-marked cylinder on a scale and tare it. Add room-temperature water until the scale reads 50g. Scribe at the meniscus level. Done.

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This will give you a calibration known as 'To Contain" or TC. If you want to use it to deliver 50 mL you will need the second vessel. That calibration would give you something known as a "To Deliver" or TD calibration. Every grad cyl I have ever used is of the TC type.

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is that? No one performs a reaction in a grad cyl. Wouldn't it make more sense for labs to stock TD calibrated grad cylinders if you're going to pour the stuff out? Or is it that it rarely makes enough of a difference to matter?

8. Feb 5, 2010 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, Gokul. All your precise work in making up standard solutions are made up using precise balances for solids and volumetric pipettes of some type of the TD type. Volumetric vessels are invariably used as TC since they are designed to be added to until a certain volume is attained. The resulting solution is precise but no one would ever use one of those volumetric flasks or grad cyls to accurately deliver known volumes. In cases where they are used to measure reagents or solvents, they are exact enough for the purpose at hand, of course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook