Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If it takes me 60 seconds to make a cup of tea, and my manager wants

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    if it takes me 60 seconds to make a cup of tea, and my manager wants me to make it 25% faster, does that mean i make it in
    a) 60/1.25 = 48 seconds
    b) 60*0.75 = 45 seconds

some people say a, some people say b. What do you guys think?
    I think personally think it's a.

If someone told you to make it 100% faster that means make it twice as fast => 30 seconds, if someone told you to make it 200% faster it means 3x as fast as original => 20 seconds. so 25% faster => 48 seconds.

I believe 60 * 0.75 means a reduction by 25% and not faster by 25%...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: tricky!!

Boy this is getting really picky! Okay, since the manager (you're really just trying to sass the manager aren't you?) said specifically "25% faster", and "fast" refers to speed, lets look at speed. You can make a cup of tea at 1/60 cup/sec. "25% faster" would mean 1.25*1/60= 1/48 cup/sec. Working "25% faster" means you make the cup of tea in 48 seconds rather than 60 seconds.

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

in colloquial if i do something in x time and later in x/2 time then i did this 2times faster. so here i think we want x/(5/4) by analogy. 5/4 times faster. language is picky if you mean "sooner" when say "faster".

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good point. "25% sooner" would be 60- (.25)(60)= 45 seconds while "25% faster" is 48 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?