1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If sequence {x} is in l2, does x_n<k/n follow?

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1

jpe

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have a sequence {x} = {x_1, x_2, ...} and we know that [itex]\{x\}\in\ell^2[/itex], i.e. [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex]. Does it follow that there exists a K>0 such that [itex]x_n<K/n[/itex] for all n?

2. Relevant equations
    The converse is easy, [itex]\sum 1/n^2 = \pi^2/6[/itex], so there would be a finite upper bound for [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stuck. I cannot think of a counterexample and my hunch is that it's true. I was hoping that maybe from [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n=L[/itex] for some L I could derive a bound for the elements of the sum involving the summation index, but to no avail so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you had something like [itex]x_n = 1/\sqrt{n}[/itex], there would be no such [itex]K[/itex], right? Of course [itex]\sum x_n^2[/itex] doesn't converge in that case, but can you replace enough of the [itex]x_n[/itex]'s with 0 to achieve convergence?

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you think about the p series$$\sum_1^\infty \frac 1 {n^p}$$you know that p=1 is the dividing line between convergence and divergence. So as soon as p > 1 even a little, you get convergence. You might be lulled into thinking that anything bigger than n in the denominator will give convergence because of this. But that is wrong because the series$$\sum_2^\infty \frac 1 {n\ln n}$$also diverges. The logarithm grows so slowly that it doesn't help enough to get convergence.

This is a roundabout way of suggesting that if you are looking for counterexamples right on the edge of convergence-divergence, a judicious use of logarithms in the formula might help.

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like jbunnii's suggestion better. Make a lot of terms in your series 0.

6. Feb 17, 2012 #5

jpe

Yeah, that was a good suggestion indeed, it seems almost trivial now. Let {x} be given by
    [itex] x_n=1/\sqrt{n}[/itex] if [itex]n=m^2[/itex] for some m, 0 else. So we would have x={1,0,0,1/2,0,0,0,0,1/3,0, ...} for the first few terms. Then:
    [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty x_n^2 = \sum_{m=1}^\infty (1/\sqrt{m^2})^2=\sum 1/m^2=\pi^2/6[/itex], so [itex]x\in\ell^2[/itex]. However, assume there is a bound [itex]x_n\leq K/n[/itex] for all n. Look at the element with [itex]n=(K+1)^2[/itex]:
    [itex]x_{(K+1)^2}=1/(K+1)=(K+1)/(K+1)^2>K/(K+1)^2[/itex]. Thus, K cannot have been a bound. Since K is arbitrary, no such K can exist, and we have found a counterexample!

Thanks for the input guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook