Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I If symmetric then transitive relation

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    Isn't, if we have xRy and yRx then xRx will also make transitive? Because if I am right {(x,x),(y,y)} on set {x,y} is symmetric and transitive.

Isn't the above similar to, if xRy and yRz then xRz is transitive relation?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##R = \{(x,x),(y,y),(z,z),(x,y),(y,x),(y,z),(z,y)\}##
    is an example of a relation that's symmetric and reflexive without being transitive, because
    ##xRy \leftrightarrow yRx##
    and
    ##yRz \leftrightarrow zRy##
    but we also have ##xRy \wedge yRz## without ##xRz##.

4. May 15, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Similar but not nearly as strong. xRy and yRx => xRx is a statement about a much smaller set of x and y than the transitive property requires.

5. May 15, 2017 #4
    Does this mean transitive relation require atleast 3 distinct element of a set e.g {x,y,z}.

Also as I mentioned, is {(x,x),(y,y)} on set {x,y} reflexive along with symmetric and transitive.

6. May 15, 2017 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(xRy and yRx) => xRx only makes a statement about the x & y where both xRy and yRx. There might easily be none of those, so it might say nothing.

PS. Even if the relation R is transitive, there may be no x & y where (xRy and yRx). An example is the order relation '>'. It's not possible for (x > y & y > x), even though '>' is a transitive relation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted