Is R Transitive if R^2 is a Subset of R?

In summary: Now I'll try to prove: R is transitive <=> R^i \subseteqR, \foralli\geq1.=> Assume R is transitive. To prove that R^i\subseteqR, for all i \geq1 we can use induction.Base case: i=1 -> R\subseteqR obviously holds.Now I'm not really sure whether I actually have to use induction here. I think what needs to be shown here is pretty straightforward. If there is a y\inA such that x1Ry and yRx2 hold, then because R is transitive it follows that x1Rx2. And then
4Fun
I'm currently reading the section on relations in Velleman's "How to prove it" and I have found a statement somewhere that I want to prove, but I'm not sure whether what I have come up with is reasonable and I also have some questions on the logic used in these type of proofs.

The theorem is: Let R be a relation on set A. Then it holds that:
[itex]R^2 \subseteq R <=>[/itex] R is transitive [itex]<=> R^i \subseteq R ,\forall i \geq 1[/itex]

I'll start with [itex]R^2 \subseteq R[/itex] <=> R is transitive:

=> Assume that [itex]R^2 \subseteq R[/itex]. R^2 means that for an arbitrary ordered pair (x, z)[itex]\in[/itex]A there is a y[itex]\in[/itex]A such that xRy and yRz. The goal is to show that R is transitive, which is basically a conditional statement. If xRy and yRz hold, then we can infer that xRz. Therefore I can assume xRy and yRz, and now should prove that xRz.But because R^2[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R, I know that xRy and yRz is true for an arbitrary (x, z)[itex]\in[/itex]A. It follows that (x, z)[itex]\in[/itex]R.

<= Assume that R is transitive. Therefore if for any (x, z)[itex]\in[/itex]A it is true that there is a y[itex]\in[/itex]A such that xRy and yRz, I know that xRz. Now since R^2[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is also a conditional statement of the form [itex]\forall[/itex](x,y)[itex]\ni[/itex]AxA((x,y)[itex]\ni[/itex]R^2 then (x,y)[itex]\ni[/itex]R, I can assume that there is an ordered pair, call it (x,z)[itex]\ni[/itex]R^2. Since we assumed that R is transitive, it follows by modus ponens that (x,z)[itex]\ni[/itex]R.

Now I'll try to prove: R is transitive <=> R^i [itex]\subseteq[/itex]R, [itex]\forall[/itex]i[itex]\geq[/itex]1.

=> Assume R is transitive. To prove that R^i[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R, for all i [itex]\geq[/itex]1 we can use induction.

Base case: i=1 -> R[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R obviously holds.

Now I'm not really sure whether I actually have to use induction here. I think what needs to be shown here is pretty straightforward. If there is a y[itex]\in[/itex]A such that x1Ry and yRx2 hold, then because R is transitive it follows that x1Rx2. And then you can continue this way with x2 and x3 and in general any value i. But I don't really know how to write this in a formally correct way. Can anybody help me with that? And please give some feedback on the first part of the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
4Fun said:
R^2 means that for an arbitrary ordered pair (x, z)[itex]\in[/itex]A there is a y[itex]\in[/itex]A such that xRy and yRz.

It that a typo?

[itex] R^2 [/itex] is a set, so you shouldn't say it "means" something. The definition of a set tells you what it means for an element to be in that set. So you may say "To say an element [itex] x [/itex] is in [itex] R^2 [/itex] means that ...".

^Agreed.

In particular, it's the set [itex]R^2 = \{(x,z)\in A^2:\enspace \exists y\in A \text{ such that } xRy \text{ and } yRz\}[/itex], and we use the notation [itex]xR^2z[/itex] as a shorthand for [itex](x,z)\in R^2[/itex].

1. What is a proof involving relations?

A proof involving relations is a mathematical proof that uses the concept of relations between sets of objects to establish a logical argument. It is a fundamental tool in mathematics and is used to prove theorems and propositions in various fields.

2. What are the different types of relations?

There are several types of relations, including reflexive, symmetric, antisymmetric, transitive, and equivalence relations. Reflexive relations are those where every element is related to itself, while symmetric relations are those where if a is related to b, then b is also related to a. Antisymmetric relations are those where if a is related to b and b is related to a, then a and b are the same element. Transitive relations are those where if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is related to c. Equivalence relations are those that are reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

3. How are proofs involving relations used in real-world applications?

Proofs involving relations are used in various real-world applications, such as computer science, social sciences, and physics. In computer science, they are used to prove the correctness of algorithms and data structures. In social sciences, they are used to model and analyze relationships between individuals or groups. In physics, they are used to describe the relationships between physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration.

4. What are some common strategies for proving statements involving relations?

Some common strategies for proving statements involving relations include using the definition of the relation, using properties of the relation (such as reflexivity or transitivity), using counterexamples, and using proof by contradiction. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or make tables to visualize the relationship and better understand the statement being proved.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving statements involving relations?

To improve your skills in proving statements involving relations, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic concepts such as sets, functions, and logical reasoning. Practice regularly by attempting different types of problems and seeking feedback from peers or instructors. Additionally, studying and analyzing proofs from textbooks or other sources can help you develop problem-solving strategies and gain a deeper understanding of the material.