1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the Earth's axis was tilted 45 degrees

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    If the Earth's axis were tilted at 45 degrees, would the sun ever rise on Christmas day in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada?

What I think: I think you would be able to see the sun rise if you look 7 degrees to the south since Manitoba is at 52 degrees but I'm not sure..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

45 degrees which way? Don't you also need some information on when the equinoxes and solstices are in the Manitoba calendar with the new tilt? Or is the assumption that the Winter Solstice for Manitoba is still near Christmas?

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you mean 45 deg in the same way as the current 23 deg then the arctic circle would be at 45deg latitude and manitoba (7deg north of the new artic circle) would have a few months of no sun, but also a few months of 24hour sun

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook