If the product of n numbers is 1, their sum is >= n

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Shilov's "Real and Complex Analysis" where the task is to prove that for real positive numbers x1,x2,...xn, if their product equals 1, then their sum is greater than or equal to n. The speaker proved this for the case n = 2 and is now trying to use induction to prove it for the general case, but is having trouble. The other person suggests using the AM-GM inequality and generalizing it for an infinite dimensional space. They also mention Jensen's inequality as a potential method for proving the inequality. The summary concludes by mentioning that both inequalities can be proven using Jensen's inequality.
matticus
i'm reading shilov's "real and complex analysis". there is a problem to prove that for real positive x1,x2,...xn, if x1*x2*...*xn=1, then x1+x2+...xn >= n. I proved this for the case n = 2. it says use induction on this case to prove it for the nth case. but i just don't see it.

for n=2:

(a+1)^2 >= 0
a^2 + 2a + 1 >= 0
a^2 + 1 >= 2a
a + 1/a >= 2

Physics news on Phys.org
matticus said:
i'm reading shilov's "real and complex analysis". there is a problem to prove that for real positive x1,x2,...xn, if x1*x2*...*xn=1, then x1+x2+...xn >= n. I proved this for the case n = 2. it says use induction on this case to prove it for the nth case. but i just don't see it.

Use the AM-GM inequality.

[tex]\frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n} \geq \sqrt[n]{x_1x_2...x_n} = 1[/tex]

So,
[tex]x_1+...+x_n \geq n[/tex]

right. actually it's a later problem to prove that inequality. but that's not really what I'm looking for. he asks as one problem to prove that a + 1/a >= 2. then he says use induction to prove it for the general case. so what i really want is an inductive proof.

Kummer said:
Use the AM-GM inequality.

[tex]\frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n} \geq \sqrt[n]{x_1x_2...x_n} = 1[/tex]

So,
[tex]x_1+...+x_n \geq n[/tex]

hey, this AM-GM equality gives me a problem, let's suppose we would like to generalize it to an infinite dimensional space, the AM is:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b}dx (b-a)^{-1} f(x) [/tex]

however what would be the analogue of the GM ?

Klaus_Hoffmann said:
however what would be the analogue of the GM ?
We need the restriction
[tex]f(x) >0[/tex]

Then, perhaps this is a reasonable generalization,
[tex]\exp \left(\int_a^b \ln f(x) dx\right)[/tex]

Kummer said:
We need the restriction
[tex]f(x) >0[/tex]

Then, perhaps this is a reasonable generalization,
[tex]\exp \left(\int_a^b \ln f(x) dx\right)[/tex]

That's exactly right, and both inequalities can be proven essentially the same way using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen%27s_inequality" , as shown in chapter 3 of Rudin's analysis book.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the sum of n numbers related to their product when the product is equal to 1?

When the product of n numbers is equal to 1, it means that the numbers are reciprocals of each other. This relationship between the numbers allows for the sum of the numbers to be greater than or equal to n.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this relationship?

For example, if we have 3 numbers: 1/2, 1/3, and 1/6, their product is equal to 1 but their sum is greater than 3. 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/6 = 1. This is because the sum of the reciprocals of the numbers is always greater than or equal to the number of terms (n) in the set.

3. What does this relationship tell us about the numbers in the set?

This relationship tells us that the numbers in the set are inversely proportional to each other. As the product increases, the sum decreases, and vice versa. This also means that the larger the number of terms (n) in the set, the smaller the individual numbers will be.

4. Is this relationship always true for any set of numbers?

Yes, this relationship is always true as long as the product of the numbers is equal to 1. This is because the sum of the reciprocals will always be equal to 1, which is greater than or equal to n, the number of terms in the set.

5. How is this relationship relevant in scientific research?

This relationship is relevant in various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and biology. It helps scientists understand the inverse relationship between certain variables and how changes in one variable can affect the other. It also allows for simplification of complex equations and can be applied in various mathematical models.