1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the product of n numbers is 1, their sum is >= n

1. Jun 29, 2007 #1
    i'm reading shilov's "real and complex analysis". there is a problem to prove that for real positive x1,x2,...xn, if x1*x2*...*xn=1, then x1+x2+...xn >= n. I proved this for the case n = 2. it says use induction on this case to prove it for the nth case. but i just don't see it.

for n=2:

(a+1)^2 >= 0
    a^2 + 2a + 1 >= 0
    a^2 + 1 >= 2a
    a + 1/a >= 2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2007 #2
    Use the AM-GM inequality.

[tex]\frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n} \geq \sqrt[n]{x_1x_2...x_n} = 1[/tex]

So,
    [tex]x_1+...+x_n \geq n[/tex]

4. Jun 29, 2007 #3
    right. actually it's a later problem to prove that inequality. but that's not really what i'm looking for. he asks as one problem to prove that a + 1/a >= 2. then he says use induction to prove it for the general case. so what i really want is an inductive proof.

5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    hey, this AM-GM equality gives me a problem, let's suppose we would like to generalize it to an infinite dimensional space, the AM is:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b}dx (b-a)^{-1} f(x) [/tex]

however what would be the analogue of the GM ?

6. Jun 30, 2007 #5
    We need the restriction
    [tex]f(x) >0[/tex]

Then, perhaps this is a reasonable generalization,
    [tex]\exp \left(\int_a^b \ln f(x) dx\right)[/tex]

7. Jun 30, 2007 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

That's exactly right, and both inequalities can be proven essentially the same way using Jensen's inequality, as shown in chapter 3 of Rudin's analysis book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?