1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you can prove this, you are a genius.

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Are you up to the challenge?

Let (X,d) be a metric space and let A be a nonempty subset of X. Define f:X→ℝ by f(x)=inf{d(x,a): a in A}. Prove that f is continuous.

2. Relevant equations

Definition. Let (X,d) and (Y,p) be metric spaces. A function f:X→Y is continuous at a point a in X provided that for each positive number ε there is a positive number δ such that if x is in X and d(a,x)<δ, then p(f(a),f(x))<ε. A function f:X→Y is continuous provided it is continuous at each point of X.

3. The attempt at a solution

All I've been able to do so far is understand the function f given in the problem. For example, we could have X = {1, 2, 3}, A = {1}, and d(x,a) = |x-a|; then f(1) = 0, f(2) = 1, and f(3) = 2. BUT THIS STEP FUNCTION ISN'T CONTINUOUS! So do I have to assume f is continuous?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your error is that you have completely ignored the topology, or metric, on X. Since X has only three members, any appropriate metric you assign will give a "discrete topology"- every subset is open. In this particular case, for any [itex]0< \delta< 1[/itex], [itex]d(p,q)<\delta[/itex] implies p= q. In particular, for any [itex]0< \delta< 1[/itex], [itex]d(x, 1)< \delta[/itex] implies x= 1 so that [itex]f(x)= f(1)= 1[/itex] and then [itex]d(f(x), 1)= d(1,1)= 0< \epsilon[/itex].

Yes, this function is continuous. That doesn't require a genius, it only requires knowing the definitions.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Start by showing the inequality

[tex]\inf_{a\in A}{d(x,a)}\leq d(x,y)+\inf_{a\in A}{d(y,a)}[/tex]

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4
    I hope I'm not wrong but:

the definition does not say that f(x)=d(x,a), it says that [itex]f(x)=inf_{a\in A}d(x,a)[/itex].

So, in your example, f(1)=0 (since 1-1=0) f(2)=0 (since d(x,a) can be either 0 or 1, and the lowest is 1), and f(3)=0 (same reason)...

since [itex]x\in X[/itex] and [itex]a\in A\subset X\Rightarrow a\in X, \forall x,\,\,inf_{a\in A}d(x,a)=0[/itex]

Is that correct?
    If so, the proof is straightforward :D

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the responses so far! I'll chew on 'em and then come back when I have another question!

7. Oct 7, 2011 #6
    I see ......

So choose x in X, y in A in X, and ε > 0 such that ε > d(x,y).

Since d(a,x) ≤ d(a,y) + d(x,y), we know infa in Ad(a,x) ≤ infa in Ad(a,y) + d(x,y), meaning f(y) ≤ f(x) + d(x,y), or equivalently, f(y) - f(x) ≤ d(x,y).

Thus ε > d(x,y) forces f(y) - f(x) < ε.

(This seems wrong.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook