1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Illuminance on a table directly below a lamp

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 640-candle lamps are placed 6.0 ft apart and 8.0 ft above a table. Calculate the illuminance on the table directly below one of the lamps.

2. Relevant equations
    The illuminance equation, to the best of my knowledge is as follows:
    E = I/s^2 and E = (I/s^2)(cos x).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, so at first I thought that it was just asking for me to find the illuminance on the table with regards to one of these lamps. So that E = (640-candles)/(8.0 ft)^2 = (640-candles)/64.0 ft^2 = 10 lu/ft^2 = 10 ft-c.
    However, the answer in the back of the book is 15 ft-c. So I was very puzzled. Then I thought that, hey, maybe right triangles have something to do with this problem. After all, the distance between the lamps and the height of the lamps can form right-triangles if you're only taking the illuminance directly under one lamp into consideration. That hypotenuse would then be 10 ft, since 6^2 + 8^2 = x^2 -> 36 + 64 = x^2 -> 100 = x^2 -> x = 10. So I thought I had to calculate the illuminance like before and then add to that the illuminance of the second lamp with the distance being 10 ft. So that ended up with E2 = I2/(s2)^2 = (640-candles)/100 ft^2 = 6.4 lu/ft^2 = 6.4 ft-c. 10 ft-c + 6.4 ft-c = 16.4 ft-c, but 16.4 ft-c is not 15.0 ft-c, so I am doing something wrong. Can someone please point out my flaw so that I may solve this problem and further understand how to correctly approach this (and others like it)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2
    Ah, I forgot to mention: E is the illuminance, I is the luminous flux, and s is the distance.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Argh, I sincerely apologize! I is luminous intensity (obviously!), not luminous flux, which would be F.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted