Problem of a tank with trapezoidal section.

In summary, the given problem involves a 20 ft long, 10 ft high deposit with a width of 8 ft at the bottom and 18 ft at the top. The orifice at the bottom has an area of 24 in2 and a discharge coefficient of 0.60. With the tank initially full, the time required for the lower level to reach 6 ft is calculated by finding the relationship between the variables for the trapezoidal shape of the tank, using the equation for surface area of trapezoids, and applying a differential equation with height limits from 18 ft to 14 ft. There was confusion initially due to inconsistency in measuring the height from different origins.
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

A deposit of 20 feet long and 10 feet high, has a width of 8 feet at the bottom and 18 feet at the top. In the bottom is an orifice an area of 24 in2 and discharge coefficient of 0.60. If the tank is full calculate the time required for the lower level 6 feet. Consider full contraction of the jet.[/B]

Homework Equations

upload_2015-8-22_19-29-33.png

a= area of the orifice
c= discharge coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a relationship between the variable X (width) and the variable H (height). I prolongate the sides of the trapeze until have a triangle. 18 / 8 = Y / (Y-10), where Y is the height from the vertix of the triangle to the bottom of the triangle. So I have that Y=18 ft. After that I did another relation of triangles: x/18 = H/(Y=18)-------x=H

I applied the diferential equation dt= 24.922 H ^(1/2) dH; with height limits from 18 feet to 14 feet.
But I don't know if it's right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
Queren Suriano said:

Homework Statement

A deposit of 20 feet long and 10 feet high, has a width of 8 feet at the bottom and 18 feet at the top. In the bottom is an orifice an area of 24 in2 and discharge coefficient of 0.60. If the tank is full calculate the time required for the lower level 6 feet. Consider full contraction of the jet.[/B]

Homework Equations

View attachment 87699

a= area of the orifice
c= discharge coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a relationship between the variable X (width) and the variable H (height). I prolongate the sides of the trapeze until have a triangle. 18 / 8 = Y / (Y-10), where Y is the height from the vertix of the triangle to the bottom of the triangle. So I have that Y=18 ft. After that I did another relation of triangles: x/18 = H/(Y=18)-------x=H

I applied the diferential equation dt= 24.922 H ^(1/2) dH; with height limits from 18 feet to 14 feet.
But I don't know if it's right or not
Show us your equation for A(h).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Show us your equation for A(h).

Chet
I have surface area =20 H, because the length of 20 is constant. And from the relation between triangles I know that X=H

Queren Suriano said:
I have surface area =20 H, because the length of 20 is constant. And from the relation between triangles I know that X=H
The width increases by 10 ft as the height increases by 10 ft, but you can't set h=0 at 8 feet below the base of the container. That would make your ##ac\sqrt{2gh}## wrong.

Likes Queren Suriano
I get 20(8+h).

Likes Queren Suriano
haruspex said:
The width increases by 10 ft as the height increases by 10 ft, but you can't set h=0 at 8 feet below the base of the container. That would make your ##ac\sqrt{2gh}## wrong.
haruspex said:

I think I understand, but there are some exercises in which is valid to take the zero down or away from the element considered. For example in this exercise (strain energy) and I only integrate in the real part of the element. So when will know whether it is valid or not take away the element origin?

upload_2015-8-23_9-9-54.png

upload_2015-8-23_9-11-30.png

Chestermiller said:
I get 20(8+h).
Thank you, I got this too, when I put the origin in the base of the tank

Queren Suriano said:
Thank you, I got this too, when I put the origin in the base of the tank
I got this by just fitting a straight line between between (0,8) and (10,18).

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano
Queren Suriano said:
I think I understand, but there are some exercises in which is valid to take the zero down or away from the element considered. For example in this exercise (strain energy) and I only integrate in the real part of the element. So when will know whether it is valid or not take away the element origin?
It's valid as long as you are consistent. Your problem was that in different equations you were measuring h from different origins.

Likes Queren Suriano
haruspex said:
It's valid as long as you are consistent. Your problem was that in different equations you were measuring h from different origins.
Thank you

1. How do you calculate the volume of a tank with a trapezoidal section?

The volume of a tank with a trapezoidal section can be calculated by dividing the tank into smaller sections and then using the formula for the volume of a trapezoidal prism. This involves taking the average of the two parallel sides and multiplying it by the height and the length of the tank.

2. What is the purpose of using a trapezoidal section in a tank?

A trapezoidal section in a tank allows for a more efficient use of space compared to a traditional rectangular tank. It also reduces the amount of material needed for construction and can provide more stability to the tank.

3. How does the trapezoidal section affect the strength of the tank?

The trapezoidal section can increase the strength of the tank by distributing the weight of the contents more evenly. This can help prevent bulging or warping of the tank walls and can also improve its overall stability.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a trapezoidal section in a tank?

One potential disadvantage of using a trapezoidal section in a tank is the increased complexity of construction. It may also be more difficult to clean and maintain compared to a traditional rectangular tank.

5. How do you account for the sloping sides of a trapezoidal tank when calculating the surface area?

When calculating the surface area of a trapezoidal tank, the sloping sides can be divided into smaller sections and then added to the surface area of the flat sections. This can be done by using the formula for the area of a trapezoid and then adding it to the area of the rectangular base.