1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs I'm a phD-BA, I want to get a phD-physics degree

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    Is it possible? I've already obtained my Doctor's degree in Business Administration (I know it sux compared to science). Since I've already finished the textbook University Physics Young and Freedman. Now I'm struggling on Feynman's lectures on physics. I wished I chose physics ten years ago, is it too late or do I still have a chance?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2
    Chance for what exactly? To just get the physics Phd is one thing, to get an job using it is another.

4. Dec 21, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Dec 21, 2012 #4
    chance for using phd-physics for living, like doing research and giving lectures. now i'm 28 and working in a multi-national corp. money's saved, so i wonder if i can have a chance to fulfill my dream as a scientist.

6. Dec 21, 2012 #5

Thanks a lot! That post really helps!
    I focused on mergers and aquisitions of multi-national corp to local latent small companies in order to gain local competitive power and to occupy local market.

7. Dec 22, 2012 #6
    Maybe because your background is in Business you don't understand this, but having lots of money doesn't make dreams come true.

Most people pursuing a physics PhD want to become a professor. Only around 10% actually do. What makes you think you're going to be in that 10%? Even if you do make it to such a position, you're going to be in your mid-forties. Is that really the age you want to be when you start your career?

Not to sound rude, but I think you're a little delusional. What do you even know about science or being a scientist? If I were you, I would keep my squishy office job and be content to learn physics on the side. Even people with physics PhDs have to be content with this since they can't get physics jobs.

8. Dec 22, 2012 #7
    Yes, they do.

Lack of physics jobs is because of lack of money.

Great then. You can do PhD but forget about academia. If you are a business person - start your own science business.

9. Dec 22, 2012 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One cannot simply jump into a PhD program. If one had an undergraduate degree in physics, then one could quickly obtain an MS degree in physics, assuming that one was proficient in the math and physics. Then one could pursue a PhD in physics.

PhD research is build upon a firm understanding of the state of the art in science, or in one's case, physics, and particular subjects within the field.

It is valuable to have a business degree is one wishes to establish one's own business, whether it be research or applications/development based.

I've known many PhDs in engineering and science who established their own business. The most successful have some business acumen in addition to their technical expertise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook