• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Phd in the US after completing an Msc

I am currently offered to enroll for an Msc degree in my home university (Somewhere in asia).

The program is not "SUPER", but they are promising me a research year in DESY (germany) alongside the degree. The degree will take me 2 years.

I want to complete a Phd as well, but I am not planning to stay at the same university. My actual plan is to apply for a Phd in the USA.

So my question is: How long will it take me to finish a Phd in the US, if I already have a masters degree?

Edit: Assuming I stay in the same field of study. that is, particle physics.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It will depend on many things, obviously. A way of speeding things up is if you have a clear-enough area of research, or, even better, a narrow-enough topic for your thesis and find someone willing to work with you, rather than starting a program without knowing what you will specialize in. I guess this applies mostly to those that go directly into a PhD from undergrad, but I think it may apply to your case of transferring from an Msc too.

A place where you can directly start with the PhD work (instead of starting with coursework) would be good but can be difficult to find.
A PhD in Europe wouldn't have that issue, there you can directly start with research as MSc->PhD is the standard approach. The year at DESY also gives a good opportunity to look around for PhD positions...

A way of speeding things up is if you have a clear-enough area of research, or, even better, a narrow-enough topic for your thesis and find someone willing to work with you, rather than starting a program without knowing what you will specialize in.

Had this exact issue when I was applying for PhD and master degrees. A fresh graduate cannot have a good "panoramic" view of the field, one can only believe that such decision is right ^^".

So, taking your answer into consideration. I should take advantage of the following two years to make a concise research idea (or a good understanding of one specific field).

A PhD in Europe wouldn't have that issue, there you can directly start with research as MSc->PhD is the standard approach.
True, I am considering this possibility. There are many good universities in Europe. But, I want to take advantage of all the possibilities laid down to me.