Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm about to apply to U of Illinois in civil engineering.

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    I'm a senior in high school and I live near the University of Illinois so I'm going to go there next year assuming I get accepted and everything. I'm not too passionate for anything but I like math and science so I figured engineering might be good. If I find out engineering isn't for me but I still want to pursue something with math or science, transferring shouldn't be too hard.

I'm going to apply to civil engineering but I really have no idea what branch of engineering I'd like best. I do think it's pretty cool that it's the #1 place to go for civil engineering according to News Week. Any advice or thoughts about my plan?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2
    can you go in as undeclared engineering? after taking a few general engineering courses and an intro to engineering sort of course you might have a better idea of what you like.

I started as civil, but transfered to mechanical because it didn't feel sciency enough.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    I don't believe so. There is a general engineering major but I don't think it's the same thing.

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4
    well you dont declare anything, but youre in the engineering school. youll take intro classes and general science/math courses

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook