1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm about to apply to U of Illinois in civil engineering.

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    I'm a senior in high school and I live near the University of Illinois so I'm going to go there next year assuming I get accepted and everything. I'm not too passionate for anything but I like math and science so I figured engineering might be good. If I find out engineering isn't for me but I still want to pursue something with math or science, transferring shouldn't be too hard.

I'm going to apply to civil engineering but I really have no idea what branch of engineering I'd like best. I do think it's pretty cool that it's the #1 place to go for civil engineering according to News Week. Any advice or thoughts about my plan?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2
    can you go in as undeclared engineering? after taking a few general engineering courses and an intro to engineering sort of course you might have a better idea of what you like.

I started as civil, but transfered to mechanical because it didn't feel sciency enough.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    I don't believe so. There is a general engineering major but I don't think it's the same thing.

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4
    well you dont declare anything, but youre in the engineering school. youll take intro classes and general science/math courses

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?